Return to Headlines
DPS Good News for April 28, 2021
- Congratulations to City of Medicine Academy and Durham School of the Arts, named among the top 10 schools in the Durham-Chapel Hill metro area by U.S. News and World Report. The criteria include college readiness, reading and math proficiency, reading and math performance, underserved student performance, college curriculum breadth, and graduation rates.
- Once again, congratulations to Burton Magnet Elementary School, which has been named a Capturing Kids’ Hearts National Showcase School for the fourth year in a row! Capturing Kids’ Hearts celebrates campuses where educators are exceeding expectations and creating an environment where students feel safe, connected, and eager to learn.
- Hillside High School has been recognized as a 2020-21 AVID Schoolwide Site of Distinction! The AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) program trains educators in a more equitable, student-centered approach to close the opportunity gap and prepare all students for college, careers, and life. Hillside was recognized for aligning instruction, systems, leadership, and culture to implement AVID at the highest level.
- Every year since 2013, the Hillside High School Student Council has been recognized as a National Gold Council of Excellence for service to the school and community, leadership development, and sponsorship and support from the school administration. They just did it again in 2021. Congratulations to the entire student council and to advisor (and media coordinator) Nelda Caddell!
- Congratulations to Durham School of the Arts student Elana Holder, a Best Actress finalist in the Durham Performing Arts Center’s Triangle Rising Stars awards!
- Congratulations to Hillside’s Dominique Washington and Durham School of the Arts’s Holly Loranger, who were named Global Teachers by Go Global NC. They will participate in an international professional development program that exposes educators to the history, culture, social, and political structures of the diverse region of Victoria Falls. Global Teachers will embark on an immersive experience in the culturally rich countries of Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana.
- Congratulations to Pearsontown Elementary fifth-grader Ian Mitchell, whose poem “Imagine it ALL!” was selected for the book Imagine USA, American Dreams, as part of the Young Writers’ poetry contest! Congratulations also to Pearsontown Elementary first-grader Makayla Mitchell, whose poem “It’s Time, It’s Time to Go!” has been chosen for publication in a book showcasing young writers called Peculiar Pets USA-Pawsome Poems.
- Congratulations to Mathew Palmer, Executive Director for School Planning, Design, and Construction, who will be a featured panelist at the National Community Reinvestment Coalition’s 2021 Just Economy Conference in May.
- Congratulations to Hillside athletic director Ovester Grays! He received an NCHSAA Campus Captain award for helping to “Build Back Sports” safely amid the COVID-19 pandemic!