- Riverside High
WEEKLY UPDATE/MENSAJE SEMANAL 11/20/2023
Good afternoon RHS families,
This is Dr. Woods-Weeks calling with the weekly update.
A heartfelt thank you to Ms. Jacobs, Ms. Simpson, Ms Johnson, Ms. Ballon, Ms. Duncan, Ms. Erickson and Ms. Harris for representing our school at the Showcase of Schools on Saturday at the Convention Center. You represented us well!
A big shout out to Ms. Moore and the students who performed in the Talent Show. You were amazing.
Also, congratulations to Mr. Mann and the band students for s stellar performance Thursday night as well.
And congratulations to Genesis Crawford for being awarded the Durham-Chapel Hill All Conference award for 2024 and the Durham Chapel Hill Athletic Conference Varsity Athlete. She was also awarded MVP. Genesis has played Varsity Volleyball all for years at Riverside as a Middle Blocker. Kudos to you Genesis.
A special thank you to our students and club advisors for creating some fun and new paint designs in our bathrooms this weekend. Job well done.
Kudos to Ms. Keim and Ms. Doherty for hosting our first Latino family Night. It was a huge success and a fun time. And thank you to all the families and faculty who attended.
Hats off to RHS Class of 2024 for surpassing the $1 million range in scholarship offers. This is only the beginning. Stay tuned for more to come.
This is going to be a very short week, only two days. The Thanksgiving Holiday begins Wednesday, November 22nd for students. There will be no classes for students. All classes will resume on Monday, November 27th.
As a reminder:
- The 2023-24 DPS Student Climate Survey window opens Monday November 20 through Tuesday December 19. All eleventh graders will be asked to tell us how they feel about attending Durham Public Schools. We want to know what makes them feel good or proud to be a DPS student, and if there are things, we need to improve so that they can feel good about learning in DPS. We would appreciate your consent using the Google form that you should have received via email. Again, it will be administered electronically by K12 Insight between Monday, November 20, and Tuesday December 19. Please call the school if you have questions or concerns so that we may answer them. The survey should take no more than 15-20 minutes to complete. Students will access the survey using the following link: https://survey.k12insight.com/r/3KcCjz. All students who complete the survey before we leave for the Thanksgiving Holiday will receive a Chick-fi-la gift card. Thank you for your consideration. 😊
· The ACT Fall WorkKeys assessment will be administered to our 12th grade CTE concentrators November 20. We need all seniors present and on time as this assessment is a part of our accountability.
- The Final “EOY” Benchmark is December 4, 2023. All EOC classes will test on the same day. Mark Your Calendar! We must have 100% participation to determine where we are and what we need to do to finish the semester strong. We need every student present and on time this day ready to test. Parents we need your help to meet the goal. Together we can do it!
- Congratulations to our sophomore students who took the PreACT Assessment. We hit our goal. Our participation rate was 98%. Thank you for your participation. This was a small win. Let’s keep it up.
- All graduating students for all ceremonies must purchase a cap and gown for graduation. You do NOT have to buy anything else. All other items are optional.
- The Schol Improvement Team will meet Wednesday, December 29, 2023, at 5:00 in the media center.
Thanksgiving Turkey Drive
Thankful for Riverside! This Thanksgiving, please help us support the staff at Riverside by donating turkeys or money contributions to the PTA. Our turkey giveaway was very popular with our staff last year. It is more important than ever to show love and appreciation to those who drive school buses, provide a safe and clean environment at Riverside, and otherwise support our children in school! We can let them know how much they are appreciated, but we need your help. If you are bringing a turkey, we ask you to deliver it Tuesday, November 21st by 8am. If you are sending in money, please donate by Monday, November 20th. Any extra donations will go to PTA to support its many teacher and staff appreciation efforts throughout the year! Thank you in advance for your generosity! Link to donate $ - https://tinyurl.com/GiveTreasure
-2024-2025 FAFSA application will open in December
-Students AND parents should begin creating their FSA ID to be prepared for December
-DPS Foundation Scholarship Application will open December 1, 2023
-Week of December 11th-15th will be dedicated to applying for financial aid and scholarships. There will be more information to come in the following weeks.
The Riverside Women's Basketball teams will host Grimsley High School this Tuesday night November 22nd at 6 pm. Tickets can be purchased by card or online at TICKETS. All DPS athletic events observe a "Clear Bag Only" policy in conjunction with no Re-Entry. For more information about winter sports please visit https://riversideathleticzone.com/
Parents of Seniors - Don't forget to purchase your senior ad space in the yearbook.
Design your own personal congratulations for your senior.
Space is limited. Purchase ad space online.
Have you ordered your yearbook yet?
Yearbooks are available for purchase online at the link on the Riverside website.
Payment plans are available for purchases made through Nov 24, 2023.
Buy today so you won't miss out tomorrow.
Parents, please continue to help us enforce the DPS Code of Conduct by ensuring that your student adheres to the policies and procedures set forth. Students show your school pride by wearing our school colors on Friday. I will see each of you at the River tomorrow. Go forth and make it a great evening. Roll Pirates Roll!