- Riverside High
WEEKLY UPDATE/MENSAJE SEMANAL 9/25/2023
Good afternoon, Pirate families,
This is Dr. Woods-Weeks calling with the weekly update. Monday, September 25th is an Optional Teacher Workday. No school for students. School will resume Tuesday, September 26th at the regular time.
As a reminder, the PSAT will be administered on October 24, 2023. The deadline for registration is today, September 24 at 5:00 p.m. Govern yourselves accordingly.
Progress Reports will be distributed on Friday, September 29, 2023. If you have a concern about your student's performance the teacher of record is the first point of contact. There is still time to improve this quarter. Seek tutoring where needed during Pirate Block.
Picture Day for Underclass students is on Thursday, Sept 28. Dress your best.
The Back-to-School yearbook sale will end on Sept 29, 2023. Take advantage of our lowest price of the year. Buy online at jostensyearbooks.com.
You are invited to travel the world! Come to Mrs. Lido’s informational Zoom meeting on Thursday, September 28 at 6:00 p.m., to learn more about the June 2025 educational tour to Greece. Your family can register for the virtual meeting here: https://bit.ly/45Y1r7A
Riverside’s PTA is back in action for the new school year.
- Have you joined PTA for the 2023-2024 school year? Memberships are $10 and you can easily join online at https://tinyurl.com/joinRHSPTA.
- Nominate a Pirate Hero!! Is there a Riverside teacher, coach, or staff member who has gone above and beyond to support our community? Nominate your favorite Pirate Hero and they could win a $50 gift card! Monthly winner selected at each PTA Meeting.
- Join us for our next PTA Meeting on Tuesday October 3rd at 6:30pm in the Media Center. We need your input and involvement!
Mark Your Calendar!
- The first SEMESTER MOY benchmark window for Traditional Calendar BLOCK/SEMESTER HS = October 16-20. Please plan accordingly
- Holistic Wellness Days: In response to the recent increases in suicidal ideation, mental illness diagnosis, and other social emotional needs of children and young adults, DPS will host the two Holistic Wellness Days. These days are intended to highlight our commitment to the whole child and to raise awareness of wellness activities for all students and staff. Friday, October 27, 2023 (Regular school day) and Friday, April 26, 2024 (Early Release Day)
DPS COLLEGE FAIR
The DPS 2023 College Fair, in collaboration with the Carolinas Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers (CACRAO) is scheduled for October 1,, 2023 from 2:00-4:30 p.m. at the Durham Marriott City Center. It will be a chance for students to visit with over 100 colleges and universities and learn about the programs & scholarships they offer. Support will also be on hand to assist with both RDS and FAFSA ID registration. Families should register in advance at https://app.strivescan.com/visit. Students do not miss this awesome opportunity!
The School Improvement Team will meet, Wednesday, September 27, 2023, at 5:00 p.m. in the Media Center. Mark your Calendar! We are still seeking a first-year parent to serve on the committee. If interested, call Ms. Monroe in the front office.
This week in athletics, Tennis will also host Hillside on September 26th and Cross Country will host its first home meet of the year on September 27. Directly afterwards Field Hockey will host Chapel Hill. Volleyball will host East Chapel Hill on September 26th, and Soccer will host Chapel Hill Sept26th. JV Football will face Hillside on September 28th.
All student-athletes interested in Basketball, Swimming, Wrestling, and Indoor Track should complete the online registration via the athletics website.
There will be a Swim and Dive interest meeting in room 222 at 8:30 am on September 29th contact Ms. Ball if you have any questions.
The next home football game will be October 6th against Chapel Hill this is our Homecoming game. Wear “Purple” to show your school spirit. Get your purple RHS shirts now! Please visit the athletics website for tickets, spirit wear, and athletic registration.
Lastly, parents, please help us enforce DPS Code of Conduct by ensuring that your student adheres to the rules, policies and procedures set forth. Students show your school pride by wearing our school colors on Friday. I will see each of you at the River tomorrow! Go forth and make it a great evening Roll Pirates Roll!!