- Riverside High
WEEKLY UPDATE/MENSAJE SEMANAL 4/24/2023
Hello, I will not read all the college advising information. It is there for them to read on their own.
Good afternoon, Pirate families,
This is Dr. Woods-Weeks calling with the weekly update. I hope you had a relaxing weekend! Congratulations to the performers in the Spring Musical “Shrek”. Super proud of each of you!
The district will be offering virtual AP review sessions next Saturday April 29, 2023, for selected AP exams. For more information and to register, please visit: https://shorturl.at/ahQ58. Registration ends on Wednesday, April 26th, at midnight. Sponsored by the DPS Office of Advanced Academics.
Riverside High School prom is this coming Saturday, April 29th at the Hilton Hotel from 8:00-12:00pm. Tickets are still available and must be purchased by April 28th at 12:00 noon. Single tickets are $70 and couple tickets are $120. Prom tickets will be distributed April 26th, and 27th in room 140. You may pick up your ticket on April 28th in the main lobby. See Ms. Nelson for more information.
The SIT will meet Wednesday, April 26th in the media center at 5:00 p.m.
The NHS Induction Ceremony is Wednesday, April 26th at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium.
The final window for ACT is April 25th-April 28th. It is imperative that we administer the ACT to A MINIMUM of 95% of our 11th graders! Currently, we are at a 93% participation rate. If you are a junior and you have not taken the ACT, please plan to do so this week. You know who you are. Students do your part! It’s a simple request.
EOY-Final Benchmark window is April 27th-May 3rd. Govern yourselves accordingly.
This week is the last week to see most of our spring sports in action. Women's Soccer senior night is Tuesday, April 25th, Baseball, Men’s, and Women's Lacrosse senior night will be held Wednesday April 26th, and the Softball Senior Night will be held Thursday April 27th . Please make sure you take time to support our student-athletes as they wrap up spring sports. All spring sports schedules are on our website www.dpsathletic.com/riverside
College Advising News – From the desk of Ms. Schmaltz
National Decision Day on May 1! While this decision can be stressful, once you decide what you want to do after Riverside, whether you are Enrolled, Enlisted, or Employed, IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE YOUR "E"! We are going to have a Decision Day party of our own on May 5 during 3rd and 4th block in the cafeteria! Details can be found on our website! We will have representatives from colleges that are still accepting applications, so if you haven't found your "E" yet, you still can!
Below are highlighted financial aid resources/tips:
· Click here for my Award Letter Analyzer - use this tool to compare your financial aid letters from various schools!
· If your school's FAFSA and CSS profile deadline has passed, you should still submit those forms, you can still be considered for financial aid! The deadlines are just for priority financial aid, so it's still worth it. Just submit them ASAP.
· For scholarships, keep utilizing these search engines and see below for local scholarships:
CFNC.org (NC specific)
College Acceptances: 358
Scholarship Money Earned: $9,479,100
· Please continue to let me know of any college acceptances and scholarship awards and let me know if you DON'T want to be in the daily announcements!
· Continue to check your portals for acceptances AND scholarship/financial aid awards - not all colleges send a notification email.
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS
Deadline: April 28
Eligibility: Students must plan to go into engineering. “Criteria for this award include achievement in leadership and scholarship -- particularly in science,
technical, or pre-engineering studies. Our club prefers the recipient be in the upper 15% of them
graduating class. However, we will consider candidates that may not rank as high. The recipient
must have plans to enroll in an engineering curriculum next fall at a college or university with an
ABET-accredited school or college of engineering (see https://www.abet.org/). Computer
Science programs, however similar, are different from Computer Engineering and won’t be
eligible for our scholarship.”
Tell Ms. Schmaltz ASAP if you are interested in applying - we can recommend students for the scholarship, and we have room to nominate 2 more!
Amount: $1,000 (4-year college), $500 (community college)
Deadline: April 28
Eligibility: must be an African American female with a minimum unweighted 2.5 GPA
Deadline: April 28
- To be eligible, students must be a legal resident of Durham, Orange,
- Person or Vance County (resident for a minimum of 2 years within the last 6 years).
- Applicant must be a high school senior.
- Provide official high school transcripts through December 2022.
- Applicant must be an entering First-year student expecting withinone year to be accepted and enrolled at an accredited college, university or vocational/technical school beginning study for the upcoming academic year.
- Applicant should demonstrate community involvement.
- Applicant should have maintained a minimum 2.5 G.P.A. or higher. (Could be weighted)
- Applicant should have participated in at least one extra-curricular activity or have been employed during the school year.
- Applicant should demonstrate financial need
- Applicant must fully complete the application including the personal statements and financial data requested.
- A list of other local scholarship opportunities can be found here, and I will continue to update it as they come in!
Tallo's "Welcome to Tallo" Scholarship - $1,000 given out monthly, all you need to do is join Tallo, complete their 2-minute welcome form, go to Opportunities, and apply!
Future Of Stem Scholars (FOSSI) - $10,000 per year for students attending an HBCU and studying STEM
You can still fill out the FAFSA! Make sure you complete the 23-24 form, NOT the 22-23). More information here.
DREAMer's Roadmap - an app that helps undocumented students find scholarship opportunities!
Don't know where to start? try these sites:
· Rolling application schools are still open!
· Here are all the schools in NC that are still accepting applications:
o Elizabeth City State University
o Fayetteville State University
o Winston-Salem State
o Barton College
o Belmont abbey
o Bennett College
o Brevard College
o Cabarrus College
o Campbell University
o Chowan University
o Gardner-Webb university
o Greensboro College
o Johnson C Smith
o Mars Hill
o Methodist University
o Montreal College
o NC Wesleyan College
o Pfeiffer University
o Salem College
o Shaw University
o St Augustine’s University
o Mount Olive
o Warren Wilson College
o William Peace
· C3 (NCSU Durham Tech Collaboration) is currently accepting applications on a rolling basis until June 1
· Future Teachers of NC FREE Conference at ECU: June 14-15 and June 20-21 Read more here! Deadline to apply is April 24.
· Shelton Challenge @ NC Wesleyan - (deadline is May 15) The Shelton Challenge is a six-day (June 18-23, 2023) residential leadership experience to help students expand their knowledge and skills of what it takes to be an effective leader. Offered to rising 9th-grade to graduating seniors (graduating seniors included) with a 3.0+ unweighted GPA, hands-on activities focus on personal leadership assessment and interpersonal dynamics, the role of values and ethics in leadership, leadership traits and approaches, empowering others, civic and social responsibility, and goal setting. In addition to these aptitudes, students also engage in team-building activities like low- and high-ropes courses, rock climbing walls, service projects, and social activities in the evenings.
That said, parents please continue to help us enforce the DPS Code of Conduct by ensuring that your student adheres to the rules, policies and procedures set forth. Students show your school pride by wearing our school colors on Friday. I will see each of you at the River tomorrow. Go forth and make it a great evening! Roll Pirates Roll!!!