Return to Headlines
Lottery Application Now Open
2022 Lottery Notification Process and Timeline
- Lottery Application Period (for 2022-2023 School-Year): Monday, January 10th (12 am) through Friday, February 4th (5 pm)
- The parent or legal guardian/custodian must have a valid email address or phone number to create an online account, submit an application, and receive application updates in the application portal: SmartChoice Application Account at dpsncapplication.com.
- Application access and assistance:
- Use a SmartPhone, Tablet, or Computer (may be accessed at the Public Library) to access the SmartChoice Application site at www.dpsncapplication.com
- For assistance, schedule an appointment by calling
- English: 919-560-2059
- Spanish: 919-560-2510
- Lottery Notification Results Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 - Lottery notification results will be e-mailed and posted on the Parent Dashboard of the parent/guardian SmartChoice Application Account at dpsncapplication.com.
- Deadline to Accept Assigned Lottery Seats: Friday, March 18, 2022 (5:00 pm) – Parent/Guardian must accept the lottery seat by this deadline. Lottery assignments not accepted by this deadline will be automatically marked as a declined seat. If an applicant accepts a lottery assignment, his/her name will be removed from all other lottery application waitlist(s). Declined seats are final and cannot be reclaimed.
- Assigned Applicants – Applicants who are offered a magnet or CTE Pathway lottery seat may decline their assignment and remain wait-listed for a possible later assignment to another school/program/pathway applied for.
- Waitlisted Applicants – If seats become available, applicants who are waitlisted will be assigned in the numbered order in which they are waitlisted. This process begins every two weeks from March 1st – June 30th for calendar magnet schools, and March 1st - July 31st for program magnet schools and CTE Pathways.
- Exceptional Children’s Programs (ECP) - Please note: ECP may override lottery assignments for students whose IEP teams indicate the need for a separate/self-contained placement.