- Rogers-Herr Middle School
Weekly Update September 3, 2023
Principal’s Update for the Week of 9/3/23
No School Monday
School will be closed Monday, September 4 in observance of the Labor Day holiday.
Progress reports will be sent home with students Thursday, September 7. Review the progress report with your child, celebrate successes and create a plan to submit any missing assignments or specific action steps to improve needed grades. Grades on report cards are final. The first quarter ends Friday, September 22 and will be here before we know it. Quarter 1 assignments will not be accepted after Friday, September 22. Check Power School and Canvas early and often. Please note and take advantage of the following RHMS supports that are in place to help students and families during the nine weeks:
- Progress Reports: DPS requires progress reports go out once a quarter. However, RHMS sends out progress reports twice a quarter.
- Rams ROCK Days: (two per quarter) – Students have an opportunity make-up any missing assignments during the school day.
- Discovery: RHMS Daily Intervention & Enrichment (8:30-9:10am) – Parents, ensure your child arrives to school by 8:15am each morning so they are ready for Discovery promptly at 8:30am. Students walking in the door at 8:30 or after 8:30 are missing this opportunity.
- Canvas: Students are encouraged to refer to Canvas for classwork and homework assignments daily.
- PowerSchool: Parents should check Power School weekly and follow up with students about posted grades and any missing assignments.
- Conferences: Please contact your child’s teacher and/or grade level administrator anytime a conference wanted and/or needed.
Showcase of Clubs
Rogers-Herr offers many clubs for students to join. We have some exciting news to share. On Wednesday September 6, 2023, we will be hosting the Showcase of Clubs in the Rogers Herr Gym from 5:30 to 6:30pm. This will be a time for you and your family to see the fun and exciting club offerings that we have, meet and greet advisors, and sign up for the clubs which you are most interested in this year. Some of the clubs include Cooking, Art, Garden, Battle of the Books, Pep Band, Step and more! RAMS ROCK and our clubs do too, we can’t wait to see you Wednesday, September 6 (5:30-6:30pm).
Music Department Updates
- Band Concert - The first 6th Grade Band concert is scheduled for Thursday, September 7, at 6:30pm in the Rogers-Herr Auditorium. Students need to meet in the band room at 6:00pm for final preparations. Concert attire is any combination of black and/or white dress clothes and dress shoes. Please contact Ms. Cammon if you have any questions or concerns.
- Chorus and Orchestra Concerts -The 6th Grade Orchestra and 6th Grade Chorus will present their Fall Concert on Tuesday evening, September 12th at 6:30pm in the Rogers-Herr Auditorium. The orchestra will need to report to the auditorium at 5:30pm to tune and warm up, and the chorus must report at 5:45pm. Concert dress expectations will be provided to your student to bring home, so stay tuned. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Stine.
The Grand Re-Opening of the Rams ROCK Store!
We are in need of donations. We need your help as we are still in need of items for the Store. Wondering what to donate...visit the link below. We have plenty of food items. Please consider donating any of the nonfood items listed. No donations are too small. Thank you in advance for your support! Amazon Wish List Link: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/6U7F82NALK51?ref_=wl_share
Please note the following upcoming store dates per grade level:
- 6th Grade – Friday, September 1
- 7th Grade – Tuesday, September 5
- 8th Grade – Wednesday, September 6
Mark your calendar for our upcoming 6th grade Curriculum Night. Plan to attend to learn all about the curriculum of content areas, teachers’ processes procedures and instructional plans for the school year.
- 6th Grade – RESCHEDULED for Tuesday, September 19 (Location: Auditorium)
- Navigator Team (4:30-5:30pm)
- Explanation of AIG Services & AIG DEP Signing (5:30-6:00) – Location: Media Center
- Voyager Team (6:00-7:00pm)
Parents of Identified Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) students will need to stop by the media center to sign the Differentiated Education Plan (DEP) during your designated grade level’s date and time. Please contact AIG facilitators Jennifer Miske and/or Christine Blystad with any questions regarding the AIG program.
Congratulations Fall Athletes - Congrats to all of the Fall 2023-2024 Student Athletes. We look forward to an amazing season. Parents, please ensure that you are monitoring the Connect Ed and team chats for updates regarding sports. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s head coach.
AD and Coaches Contact Information
- Athletic Director: Coach Andre McCollum (Andre_McCollum@dpsnc.net)
- Football: Coach Laws Email (Coachlaws2011@gmail.com)
- Cheer: Coach Daye (Jessica_Daye@dpsnc.net)
- Cross Country: Coach Adams (Jasmine_Adams@dpsnc.net) and Coach Schack (Andrew_Schack@dpsnc.net)
- Volleyball: Coach Johnson (Shiquita_Johnson@dpsnc.net)
- Soccer: Coach Thompson (Ronald.Thompson@godirectlinklogistics.com)
Game Tickets and Admissions
- DPS Athletic Department will not be accepting cash at the gates. DPS is utilizing a platform called GoFan
- GoFan is for spectators to purchase tickets for all athletic events.
- There will be no cash at the door for games.
- You must purchase your tickets through GoFan in advance. All tickets are $8 for adults. Elementary age students are admitted to games for free
- You will need to create an account to finalize your purchase for both home and away games.
- The link to GoFan can be found here: GoFan Rogers-Herr
- All parties must be present at the door to enter the game. Partial parties will not be permitted into the game. Please ensure you have all of your guests when you arrive at the game.
Club Lacrosse Update - Join us for Fall ball on Saturday 9/9, 9/16, 9/23, 9/30 from 9-10:30 at Rogers Herr. All students are welcome and previous experience is not necessary. At Fall ball, we will teach fundamental lacrosse skills and will play pick-up games. Sticks and equipment will be provided. This is a great opportunity to check out the sport and the team. To participate, the student will need to have current physical on-file and will need to complete the online athletic registration (click for info) by September 7th. In addition, please fill out this lacrosse interest form, if you haven’t already. What is lacrosse? (click to see highlights). Questions? Contact Alain Aguilar (email@example.com, 919-428-3671).
Additional Athletic Questions - Please review the RHMS Athletic FAQ document below. This is FAQ document will answer many questions you may have regarding athletics. Refer to the document often, new questions and answers are added weekly.