LanSchool Air and DPS
Haga clic aquí para leer en Español
Thank you for your support and patience as we work together to help students continue their education from home during this extraordinary time. We wanted to tell you about one of the solutions we are using to help support distance learning: LanSchool Air.
LanSchool Air helps teachers provide instruction and guidance to students outside of the traditional classroom. This solution includes features that:
- Offer students the opportunity to digitally “raise their hand” to indicate they’ve finished their assignment or ask a question during both synchronous and asynchronous time
- Provides a way for teachers to set restrictions on the websites and apps students can visit during class time and blank student screens so that everyone can hear important instructions.
- Allows teachers to save time and ensure all students can find the instructions by pushing a website to all student devices instantly
- Enable teachers to view students’ screens to ensure they’re staying on track.
Lanschool Air is used during scheduled school hours and class times and only for the purposes of helping students stay safe and on task while online. Durham Public Schools has limited active hours for LanSchool Air use to 7:00am - 6:00pm. These uses align with DPS Board Policy 3225/4312, the Technology Responsible Use Policy.
While you don’t need to do anything to interact with Lanschool, we wanted to let you know about this great new tool your student may interact with during online learning. If you would like more information about LanSchool Air, check out the Lanschool for Parents Guide.
Please note additional laws that apply to students’ online privacy:
Child Internet Protection Act (CIPA):The school is required by CIPA to have technology measures and policies in place that protect students from harmful materials including those that are obscene and pornographic. This means that student email is filtered. Mail containing harmful content from inappropriate sites will be blocked. http://fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cipa.html
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA): COPPA applies to commercial companies and limits their ability to collect personal information from children under 13. No personal student information is collected for commercial purposes. This permission form allows the school to act as an agent for parents in the collection of information within the school context. The school’s use of student information is solely for educational purposes. http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/coppafaqs.shtm
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA): FERPA protects the privacy of student education records and gives parents rights to review student records. Under FERPA, schools may disclose directory information (name, phone, address, grade level, etc...) but parents may request that the school not disclose this information.
- The school will not publish conﬁdential education records (grades, student ID #, etc...) for public viewing on the Internet
- The school may publish student work and photos for public viewing but will not publish student last names or other personally identifiable information
- Parents may request that photos, names and general directory information about their children not be published
- Parents have the right at any time to investigate the contents of their child’s email and Apps for Education files http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa
Thank you for all you are doing to keep your children safe and learning. We look forward to seeing the gains your child will make as we continue to improve online learning using cutting-edge technology like LanSchool Air.