We are very excited to announce the October 1st launch of the Bull City, NC Schools & Libraries Achieving More (SLAM) initiative. This project provides all students in the Durham Public Schools with access to Durham County Library resources. Durham Public Schools and Durham County Library have a strategic partnership to help ensure student success and support literacy initiatives. Together, the heart of our missions is to promote literacy, a love of books, and the importance of reading as a foundation for lifelong learning. Historically, we have partnered on many initiatives, including Read Across Durham, Durham Reads, the Battle of the Books, Summer Reading, and more. For this new initiative, we have worked together to provide DPS students with access to all the Durham County Library print and online digital resources.
Beginning October 1st, all students will automatically be able to participate in this initiative. If you don’t want your child to have access to Durham County Library, complete the Opt-Out Form (attached to this letter). Keep in mind that if you complete the Opt-Out Form, your child will not be able to have easy access to the Durham County Library print and digital materials.
Allowing your child to participate offers the following advantages:
- Students will have access to learning resources offered through Durham County Library.
- Students will be able to access and check out Durham County Library resources by using their Student ID number.
- Students may borrow from Durham County Library’s online digital collections and access the Library’s databases. Some examples of these databases are TumbleBook, OverDrive, Zinio (digital magazines), and many more!
- Students may borrow up to 5 print items, at one time. (CDs, DVDs, TV DVDs, and other non-print items are excluded).
- There are no overdue fines for those students who sign up through this initiative. However, students are responsible for fees on lost or damaged books.
Click here to view the opt-out form (scroll down for English). Fill out and return this form to Lowe's Grove to opt out of the NC-SLAM program.