- Sherwood Githens Middle School
Principal Update 9/17
Good evening Githens. This is Dr. Lanier with important reminders and sports information for the week. Please listen carefully to all details.
GSA is part of a nationwide organization of student-led clubs working to create safe and LGBTQ+ inclusive schools. Along with providing space to organize, GSA is a space where students can receive support, socialize, and find community together. Students will foster skills in organizing, social justice, facilitating, inter-group dialogue, conflict resolution, interpersonal intelligence, and more. All students are welcome to join and support our mission which is to ensure that every member of our school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Githens GSA will have their first meeting on Friday, September 22nd in the art room. All scholars are welcome to join and support. Scholars participating in the meeting will need to have a ride ready for pick up no later than 4:30.
On Wednesday, September 27, Githens will host a Title One/Curriculum/Student Led Conference night. Parents of scholars identified as AIG are asked to come to the media center that afternoon at 5:30 to sign DEPs. Student-led conferences will take place from 5:45 to 6:45. Scholars will walk parents through their core and elective classes in 10 minute intervals. All scholars will begin their conferences/presentations in core one. Please mark your calendars.
The following is the Raiders sports schedule:
Monday, September 18: Boys Soccer and Volleyball versus Neal at Neal
Wednesday, September 20: Football versus Shepard at Githens
Thursday, September 21: Boys Soccer and Volleyball versus Shepard at Githens; Cross Country versus Lakewood at Lakewood
Game time is 4:45.
A document has been added to the Parent Resource folder that contains the sports schedules for the 2023-2024 school year. Click on the link provided in the email that accompanies this phone message to access the document and plan accordingly. All sports ticket sales are virtual through “GoFan” and are required for entry. Please use the link provided in the email that accompanies this phone message to follow the steps necessary to purchase tickets. For further information regarding athletics or specific teams, please email either Ms. Stackhouse, Athletic Director, or the coaches.
Durham Public Schools wants to ensure safety at all our athletic events. To achieve this, there must be effective collaboration with our schools, athletics, security, and school communities. Please be advised of the following:
- Clear One Bag Limit: Guests (spectators and students) will be limited to one bag that is clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and less than 12" x 12"x 6" — exceptions will be made for medical and baby needs. However, if the bag is not clear, the contents of the bag must be displayed.
- No Reentry: Spectators that voluntarily leave an athletic contest may not be allowed reentry into that contest.
- Elementary & Middle School Students: All elementary and middle school students must be accompanied by an adult when attending athletic competitions.
A reminder that we ask all scholars and families to pay close attention and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Scholars must be on time daily.
- Scholars are required to bring laptops and chargers everyday and must ensure their laptop is fully charged every morning before entering the building.
- Cell phone use is not allowed at any time during the school day for any reason and scholars will need to power off their cell phones and place them in their book bags prior to entering the building. Scholars are not permitted to use cell phones on the bus.
- Scholars who carpool in the afternoon need to be picked up no later than 3:45. The school day ends at 3:20.
That’s all for now!
Parent Resource Folder
Summer Bridge Survey
DPS School Safety, Security, and Emergency Information Guide for Parents/Families:
Githens Middle School 2023 - 2024 Supply List
“Here Comes the Bus” Bus Tracking App
Cell Phone Policy
Traditional Calendar (English/Spanish)
PowerSchool Parent Portal: PowerSchool Parent Portal is the official source of student grade information and a convenient way for you to update your most current contact information. DPS has created step by step instructions, as well as video instructions, on how to access the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Use the link above to navigate the setup process.
Parent Canvas Observer Access: Parents are highly encouraged to sign up to be an observer in Canvas. Teachers will post homework assignments for scholars in Canvas and will be responsible for keeping these pages updated.
2023 - 2024 Student/Family Handbook (English/Spanish)
Discovery: Every scholar at GMS is scheduled to take an intervention class from 9:22 to 10:12. Click the link to access a description of the learning scholars will engage in.
Durham Public Schools Dress Code Policy