Principal Message 6/3
Good afternoon Raiders! This is Dr. Lanier with one final phone message of the school year!
Attention 8th grade families. In an effort to provide guidance for tomorrow’s 8th Grade Promotion Celebration and to answer any clarifying questions, I wanted to share information based on parental feedback from the 8th grade parent meeting held on May 17th. In lieu of the “drive-by” ceremony, virtual learners will convene at 9:30 – 10:30 to receive their certificates/awards and refreshments. A DJ will be on campus to provide music as students socialize and take pictures with their peers for their final time together at Githens. Parents must be here by 10:30 to pick students up, no exceptions. In- person learners will convene at 11:00 – 12:00 and will follow the same process. Just as a reminder, parents will not be allowed to attend the celebration so as to abide by the 100 person capacity limit protocol on gatherings. Laptop drop-off will take place in the carpool lane in the front of the school. Students will be dropped off for the ceremony in the bus parking lot. They will not be allowed to walk through the building from the carpool lane. Drop off of laptops will be available before, during, and after the celebration.
Please keep in mind the following as reminders:
- Per DPS, the maximum capacity for both timeframes is 100. This includes students, staff members, and any volunteers. As such, students must be registered for this event.
- Screening protocols will be in place, i.e. temperatures taken, hand sanitizer, and mandatory mask wearing for all scholars and staff.
- Staff will be on hand to check off registered students and collect laptops, chargers, and hotspots.
- Pick up time for students confirmed for the 9:30 to 10:30 celebration is from 10:30 to 11:00. Parents must be on time.
Chromebooks will be collected from all 8th grade students leaving for high school and any current Githens student who is transferring to a different school for Fall 2021, including the DPS Ignite Online Academy, charter or private schools, or DPS magnet schools, on Friday, June 4 and Monday, June 7.
To clarify, only outgoing students not returning to Githens in August will turn in their assigned DPS devices, chargers and hotspots on Friday, June 4 and Monday, June 7. The collection location is the Githens carpool lane between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm. Families will remain in their vehicle while a staff member assists with the return.
8th Grade In Person Learners should bring all equipment with them to school on Friday June 4th and a staff member will collect items while they are in their classrooms. All Remote 8th grade scholars can return their devices before or after the promotion celebrations in the front carpool lane between 8:00 – 1:00pm, depending on which time frame was selected.
The laptop must be returned along with the charger and hotspot. Per DPS, each device and adapter should be cleaned according to the following cleaning tips:
- Use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping and submerging each item in cleanser to avoid damage.
- Do not use aerosol sprays, bleach, or abrasive cleaners.
- Ensure moisture does not get into any openings to avoid damage
- Never spray cleanser directly on an item.
Parents are financially liable for any damages or lost items. Laptops issued to current 6th and 7th grade students, attending Githens in the fall, will be catalogued during the first week of school in August.
Best of luck to our 8th grade students in high school and all of their future endeavors! Have a great summer!