Parent Message 5/23
Good evening Raiders! This is Dr. Lanier with important items as we begin to transition to the end of the school year.
Cohort C, 8th grade, will begin their two day in person rotation on Monday, May 24. Cohort A, 6th grade, will begin their two day in person rotation on Thursday, May 27.
A reminder that Durham Public Schools has decided to continue to require students and staff to wear masks at all times, even outdoors, except during socially distanced mask breaks. Maintaining consistency through the remainder of the school year will reinforce good habits and maintain confidence in our safety protocols.
This important message is for Githens In Person Learners and students confirmed to come into the building for EOG Testing only. If you are a remote learner or have not responded to the survey to confirm that you will be taking End of Grade Tests inside the building, this information is not for you.
This week, Githens will begin End of Grade Testing:
- 8th Grade will be taking their ELA assessment on Monday, May 24, math on Tuesday, May 25, and 6th Grade will be taking their math assessment on Thursday, May 27 and make up testing Friday, May 28.
- It is very important for these scholars to come to school and be in their assigned classroom no later than 7:30 am to take their required on-line tutorial before testing begins.
- Breakfast is available each day at school if students do not have the opportunity to eat before arrival.
- All students testing will have the opportunity to order a free school lunch or they may bring a lunch from home.
- All parents of remote learners that are coming into the building for testing should be prepared to pick up their scholar between 11:45 – 12:15 on their testing day. All existing in person learners will complete the school day as they normally do until 2:20 dismissal.
- If parents of remote learners (that are testing) are unable to pick up their scholar between 11:45 – 12:15, please call or send an email to your grade level administrator by close of business Monday to make arrangements to remain at school until the end of the day. Administrators will ensure that your scholar is placed in a space that meets CDC student capacity standards. It is very important that you reach out to your AP prior to testing day regarding this need to help us plan and keep everyone safe in the building.
- Contact information for all Githens administrators and staff can be found on our school website, as well as, all information regarding End of Grade testing.
Githens Middle School administration has amended our plan for laptop collection. All DPS issued laptops and hotspots will be collected from current 8th grade students and students enrolling in Ignite Online Academy only beginning Friday, June 4 and Monday, June 7. The laptop must be returned along with the charger and hotspot. Per DPS, each device and adapter should be cleaned according to the following cleaning tips:
- Use a lint-free cloth, such as a screen wipe or a cloth made from microfiber.
- Avoid excessive wiping and submerging each item in cleanser to avoid damage.
- Do not use aerosol sprays, bleach, or abrasive cleaners.
- Ensure moisture does not get into any openings to avoid damage
- Never spray cleanser directly on an item.
Parents are financially liable for any damages or lost items. Laptops issued to current 6th and 7th grade students, attending Githens in the fall, will be catalogued during the first week of school in August.
Everyone have a fantastic week!