- Durham Public Schools
Durham Public Schools to open Summer Feeding Programs June 8
Haga clic aquí para leer en Español
More than 2,300 donors, supporters, and partners--restaurants, volunteers, and school leaders--provided more than 375,000 meals to children and families at the height of the shutdowns that closed Durham Public Schools and forced the ending of the school system’s own emergency meals program.
With the end of the school year approaching along with the expected end of state emergency paid leave provisions for K-12 employees, the Durham FEAST partnership is preparing to stand down its efforts while Durham Public Schools prepares to open its Summer Feeding Program.
Durham FEAST brought together Durham Public Schools, the Durham Public Schools Foundation, Food Insight Group, restaurateurs led by Chef Andrea Reusing of The Durham Hotel, and Durham County Government to provide healthy and nutritious meals for children as well as family meals.
“With our essential school nutrition and transportation employees utilizing our state’s leave benefits as concerns about COVID-19 accelerated, Durham FEAST stepped up to fill a crucial gap in services,” said DPS Superintendent Pascal Mubenga. “This has been a historic partnership in Durham County.”
DPS School Nutrition Services plans to begin Summer Feeding Programs for Children on Monday, June 8, continuing through Friday, July 31. All children in Durham County up to age 18 are eligible. Initially, food will be provided at the same 24 sites served by Durham FEAST on the same meal schedule:
Mondays and Thursdays
- 11 a.m - 12:30 p.m.
- Bethesda Elementary, 2009 S. Miami Blvd.
- Eno Valley Elementary, 117 Milton Rd.
- Githens Middle, 4800 Old Chapel Hill Rd.
- R.N. Harris Elementary, 1520 Cooper St.
- Hillside High, 3727 Fayetteville St.
- Parkwood Elementary, 5207 Revere Rd.
- Sandy Ridge Elementary, 1417 Old Oxford Hwy.
- Noon - 1:30 p.m.
- Burton Elementary, 1500 Mathison St.
- Lakeview School, 3507 Dearborn Dr.
- Shepard Middle, 2401 Dakota St.
- Southern School of Energy and Sustainability, 800 Clayton Rd.
- Southwest Elementary, 2320 Cook Rd.
Tuesdays and Fridays
- 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Brogden Middle, 1001 Leon St.
- Eastway Elementary, 610 Alston Ave.
- Glenn Elementary, 2415 E. Geer St.
- Holt Elementary, 4019 Holt School Rd.
- Y.E. Smith Elementary, 2410 E. Main St.
- C.C. Spaulding Elementary, 1531 S. Roxboro St.
- Noon - 1:30 p.m.
- Club Blvd. Elementary, 400 W. Club Blvd.
- Hillandale Elementary, 2730 Hillandale Rd.
- Holton Career & Resource Center, 401 N. Driver St.
- KIPP Durham, 1107 Holloway St.
- Maureen Joy Charter School, 107 S. Driver St.
- Lakewood Middle, 2119 Chapel Hill Rd.
Durham FEAST will supplement the DPS Summer Feeding Program through July with contactless deliveries of meals to more than 1,000 children and their families weekly that are unable to go to pick-up sites. Sign-up information from Durham FEAST will be available at a later date.