Return to Headlines
What’s Next for the New Northern High School?
- Land for the new Northern High School was purchased in October.
- The properties are located at 4804 and 4622 N. Roxboro Rd.
- The combined purchase price was $3,291,690, paid out of 2016 bond proceeds.
- The design process for the new Northern High School is now underway, funded by 2016 bond proceeds.
- Because all of the funding for Northern High School from the 2016 bond is not needed immediately, at a joint meeting of the school board and county commissioners Nov. 12, the boards agreed to realign existing bond funds to move forward with building a badly needed elementary school in South Durham while issuing Limited Obligation Bonds to move forward with Northern High School’s construction.
- “Elementary School C” has been designed for years and is “shovel-ready,” while it will take time to begin construction at Northern.
- The complete statement from Durham County:
During Tuesday’s Joint Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) and Board of Education (BOE) meeting, agreement occurred to move forward with the construction of Elementary School C. Funding to support Elementary School C construction would occur through the realignment of existing bond funds. To move forward with Northern High School construction, there was an agreement to use the remaining existing bond funds, if any, with the balance of funding from the issuance of Limited Obligation Bonds (LOBs).
Douglas Carter, President and Managing Director of DEC Associates, provided a capital planning finance overview to the Joint BOCC-BOE during Tuesday’s meeting. Mr. Carter advised the governing Boards to carefully review the debt service resource needs, changes and resulting affordability, and to utilize the LOBs draw program to bolster DPS cash flow needs until a future referendum can be scheduled.
The Joint Boards will discuss the Elementary School F budget at the next Joint BOCC-BOE meeting to be held in January 2020.
- The groundbreaking is anticipated for August 2020.
- The new Northern High School is scheduled to open to students in August 2023.