- Southwest Elementary
P.E. at Southwest
My name is Brance Holmes and I am the Physical Education (PE) teacher at Southwest. It is such a pleasure to welcome all our wonderful students back to school. I look forward to getting to know your children and having them in class.
All PE activities will be fun and innovative for all children. Students are encouraged to bring their own water bottle labeled with their name on it for PE. They will be allowed to place a water bottle in their own individual numbered area around the gym while in PE.
Please remind your child(ren) to wear sneakers on their PE Day. If the weather permits, PE class may be held outside.
The goal of Elementary Physical Education (PE) at Southwest Elementary is to teach students to develop healthy living habits that will last a lifetime. I accomplish that by having students participate in a wide variety of activities, sports, and challenges that will increase their physical, social, and mental abilities, as well as teamwork and cooperation skills. I will provide a safe, fun, and motivating class that will encourage students to participate, have fun, and try their best. Focused fitness activities, health, nutrition, muscles, and bones are implemented into PE class, as well as integrating core subject areas such as math, science, and reading.
Here are some things that will help make PE as fun and safe as possible this year:
- Sneakers: NO dress shoes, hiking boots, sandals, slip-ons, or wheelies. Laces must be tied securely. Girls should wear shorts / leggings underneath their dresses or skirt.
- For safety reasons, no jewelry on PE days.
- Proper conduct is as important in PE class as it is in the classroom.
- Students are expected to be cooperative and responsible for their actions.
- Each student can follow these rules. If the student chooses not to comply, the following consequences will occur:
- First – Warning
- Second – Loss of a Dojo point & parent notification
- Third -Referral to administration.
- Must have a note from a medical doctor if: a student is to be excused for more than 2 PE classes. If a medical doctor excused you from PE, then you must have a note from the doctor to resume PE class.
- A parent’s note is only good for 1 class.
To be successful in PE
- Follow all PE guidelines and stay safe.
- LISTEN! Follow directions the first time.
- Only use positive and helpful language
- Show respect towards others and equipment.
- Always wear sneakers and participate fully.
- Exhibit good sportsmanship.
- Work to the best of your ability in skills and display a willingness to learn.
- HAVE FUN!
I am looking forward to a fun year here at Southwest. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free reach out on Dojo or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org