Ignite Online Academy | Summer Learning Opportunities
There are 3 summer learning options available through Ignite! Online Learning this summer. The goal of these programs is to ensure all students in Durham have the opportunity to be on track or ahead in the pursuit of their high school diploma. Credit recovery options are available for students that need to get back on track for timely graduation, while Ignite! and NC Virtual/EdOptions Academy courses will allow students to get ahead and build flexibility into their schedule. This letter will outline the options and how to enroll.
Ignite! Online Academy will offer the following high school courses virtually to all students in DPS this summer:
- Chemistry (Honors and Standard)
- Health / Physical Education (HPE)
- NC Math 2 (Honors and Standard)
- Physics (Honors and Standard)
- Pre-Calculus (Honors)
- American History: The Founding Principles, Civics, & Economics (Honors and Standard)
These courses are designed to help students accelerate and will be taught by DPS teachers. The course will be for 6 weeks (June 14 - July 2 and July 12 - July 30). Students will be required to work both synchronously and asynchronously. Students should only request one course.
For Ignite courses, students will fill out the course request form and a school counselor will approve the course. The deadline for students to request an Ignite course is May 28th.
- NC Virtual and Ed Options Academy courses will also be available for juniors and seniors that are missing a course to graduate with their cohort. Students are only permitted to take one course at a time. Both platforms will require students to finish the course in 6 weeks. The deadline for students to request an NCV or EOA course is also May 28, 2021.
- NC Virtual courses are offered July 1-August 11.
- EdOptions Academy courses will be June 14 - July 30
(July 5-10 students will be off but can continue working if they chose to.)
NCV and EOA courses will follow the traditional process. Students submit the contract to their school counselor for approval.
- Credit Recovery Courses - High School students that failed a course available through Edmentum Courseware will be enrolled in Credit Recovery. School personnel will notify students of their enrollment.
On behalf of the Durham Public Schools Department of Online learning and Ignite! Online Academy, we are glad to offer these options to your family this summer as part of operation summer learning.