8/24/2021 First Day of School Update
Good evening Hillandale families,
This is Dr. Hart-Olivis sharing a few things we learned and saw today, the first day of school.
Thanks to our families who made sure students were screened for COVID-19 before sending them to school today. Please remember that students with any of the symptoms related to the virus may be sent home to quarantine. Please also remind your child that the only way a mask can be effective is to cover the entire nose and mouth unless there is a mask break.
To our families who use morning or afternoon carpool, thanks again for your patience, as today, the majority of the students at our school were brought to school or left school through carpool. As we mentioned in previous messages, the number of cars is larger than ever, and for the first couple of weeks, it will take a bit longer than it eventually will, especially the first few days. We need our families to work within the guidelines we’ve shared. Our process works much faster once we have each car following those guidelines. Here are a few important reminders:
- Today your child came home with a carpool number for you to hang in the windshield. Please make it visible to our staff on duty, and, just in case, know the number on it as well as your child’s grade level and homeroom teacher.
- Due to the volume of cars in our carpool, the morning traffic pattern will now become a two-lane double stack, which will need to merge back into one lane like a zipper, with cars alternating to get into the single lane. There is not a park and walk option. All students must come to carpool in a vehicle. Families may not walk up to the school to drop off their children.
- In the afternoon carpool, cars may not park on Hillandale Road or in the parking lot to retrieve students. There is not a park and walk option for carpool. We will not stop the traffic in the carpool lane to accommodate this action.
- Please exit Hillandale’s campus by taking a right turn to avoid traffic collisions and to keep the carpool line moving.
- Lastly, be considerate of other families and our staff members. It can be frustrating to wait, especially if you’re in a hurry. Please wait your turn during carpool and keep with the traffic pattern. We will not tolerate abusive or profane language to other families or to our staff members at Hillandale.
Families of students who ride buses, please remember that your child’s bus assignment is created from the PowerSchool ParentPortal. If you have not already updated your information in the PowerSchool ParentPortal, please do this as soon as possible. More information about how to do this can be found at this link. If you’re retrieving this message from the school website or on Seesaw, this means something in ParentPortal needs to be updated.
Families interested in customizing their messages from the school, within the Parent Portal, there is an opportunity to opt in or out of voicemails, emails, or text messages from the school. Please make sure your phone number is up to date in ParentPortal, and do not block school phone numbers.
Stay up to date about what’s happening at Hillandale on our school website, hillandale.dpsnc.net, and on Twitter and Instagram @HillandalePOWER. Keep an eye out for messages from your child’s teacher and other school staff on Seesaw.
As always, thank you for your support, your partnership, and most of all, thank you for being a part of The Hillandale Family.
Thanks for a great first day of school!