12/17/2020 Additional Information Regarding Plan B
Good evening Hillandale Families,
This is Principal Hart-Olivis with added information about Plan B.
I’ve had an opportunity to speak to several families this week as we approach tomorrow’s deadline to make a decision about DPS Plan B. I wanted to share with you some of the information that helped the families decide. Here are some key points about which these families needed clarification:
- If I choose in-person learning for Plan B, will learning centers remain available? No, this is not currently part of the district’s proposal for Plan B. Students who learn in the school building will participate in in-person learning two days per academic week, and there is not currently an option for learning centers on those days.
- Will I have an opportunity to reverse my choice after December 18 if I change my mind? No. According to the current district plan, decisions from this survey are final in the event we are able to transition to Plan B.
- The Durham County rate of positive COVID-19 tests is beyond the maximum threshold voted by the school board and is showing an upward trend. Isn’t this becoming a moot issue? Our district and our schools are required to strengthen our plans for transitioning to Plan B until January 7, at which point our board of education will make a final decision about whether we can forward with introducing the option of Plan B. It is important for us to have a strong plan both in case we have the opportunity to return to school, either in January or in the future. It’s important for us to know what your family needs and your thinking as we plan.
- Why am I receiving calls from the school when I have until tomorrow to decide? While families who have not made a choice by the time the survey closes tomorrow default to Ignite! Online Academy December 18, our goal at Hillandale is to ensure that we have received the accurate voice of each of our families. We don’t want you forced into a choice. We are reaching out to families personally to make sure we address any questions which may be delaying your opportunity to make an informed decision.
- I’m unable to locate the link with which to make my choice. Where can I find it? The link is available here and on the Hillandale website “Quick Links” section. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your child’s teacher. There is also a video of my answering some of the other questions families asked previously. You can view that message here.
I hope this information assists our families in further considering their choice as we approach the potential opportunity for our district to offer Plan B.