Tips for Remote Learning
As we prepare to begin the school year, many parents have asked how they can help thier child be succesful and remain focused in an online learning environment. We've provided some tips and best practices to consider as we countdown to the first day of school.
- Maintain a consistent daily routine. Before and after school schedules are just as important as their learning schedule. Defining a start and end to the day allows students to stay refreshed and recharged.
- Monitor assignments and activities daily. Discuss with your child what they are learning and ask questions about their tasks. Additionally, make sure your child has a healthy balance of screen and non-screen activities.
- Stay up-to-date on communication from your child’s school and teacher. Communication is essential in a remote learning environment. The more questions you ask, the more you can advocate for yourself and your child.
- Designate a learning space for your child. A quiet, distraction-free area will allow your student to focus on learning during the day. Also, engage your child in creating their learning space. Allow them to make a sign for their “office” or select a few supplies to personalize their area. It will not only get them excited but grants them ownership of their home learning headquarters.
- Create time for socializing. It's important for your child to remain connected to their peers and school community. Schedule time outside of school for your child to engage with friends via virtual playdates or phone conversations.
- Stay positive! Have conversations that will generate excitement about the year ahead. Attitude is everything. A positive approach will help facilitate positive outcomes. We know there will be challenges, but we are in this together!