Drivers Education Classes
- The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind-the-wheel training. All Durham County students who are at least 14 ½ years old and under age 18 and enrolled in a public, private, charter or home school are eligible to take driver education in Durham Public Schools.
- Students wishing to take driver education must be eligible to receive a driver eligibility certificate. Students who have failed two or more courses the previous semester are not eligible to take driver education.
To take driver education with Durham Public Schools – a student must be in one of these categories:
- Attend a Durham Public School High School
- Attend a private school located in Durham
- Attend a Charter school located in Durham
- Attend a registered “home” school located in Durham
- Student must be 14 ½ years of age on the FIRST day of class
- Student must be in 9th – 10th – 11th – 12th grade level
DPS will be using an “on-line” payment system for the $45 fee for driver education. The fee will be paid by “credit card”. Students who do not have a credit card – may obtain one from any “Target” store. Students need to remember that they must ask for the card to be $48.00. Target will charge a $3.00 service fee.
Students that are dismissed from a driver education class due to behavior or attendance problems will not be allowed to take driver education a second time through Durham Public Schools -
Important information for Home School Students
- To be eligible to take a Durham Public School driver education class
You will need to contact “The North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education” and ask for an Official Non-Public School Registration Record form be sent to you. (919-733-4276) If selected for a class – you will need to bring this form on the first day of class.
NOTE: If you do not see any classes listed, the classes have not been set yet. Please check back periodically.