Who We Are
Our Mission and Vision
The vision of Rogers-Herr Middle School is to be a high performing middle school where every child receives an outstanding education that meets their academic, social, and emotional needs.
The mission of Rogers-Herr Middle School is to provide each student a diverse education in a safe, supportive environment that promotes self-discipline, motivation, and excellence in learning. The Rogers-Herr staff collaborates with parents and community to assist students in developing skills to become independent, self-sufficient adults, who will continue to seek learning experiences to succeed and contribute responsibly in a global community.
Come Visit Us!
For dates and details about our tours, as well as info on the DPS magnet lottery, please see our "How to Apply" page.
RHMS Ram Pride!
Awards & Recognitions
- DPS Boys Baseball Champions (2019)
- Battle of the Books Regional Champions (2019, 2016, 2015)
- Battle of the Books District Champions (2019, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2006, 2003)
- DPS Boys Basketball Champions (2019, 2018, 2014, 2003)
- “Schools to Watch” designation, Nat'l Forum to Accelerate Middle-Grades Reform (2017, 2014, 2011, 2008)
- Chorus Champions at Kings Dominion's Festival of Music (2016)
- Geography Bee Regional Champions (2016)
- DPS Boys Track & Field Champions (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2007, 2003)
- Battle of the Books State Champions (2015)
- Quill Regional Champions (2016)
- DPS Football Champions (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2008)
- NC JV Science Olympiad Regional Champions (2015, 2014, 2013)
- History Bee had three students go to the Nat'l Competition (2015, 2014)
- DPS Girls Track & Field Champions (2015)
- DPS Volleyball Champions (2014, 2008, 2001)
- Exceeded Expected Growth (2014)
- Public Schools of NC "School of Distinction" (2013 & 2012)
- DPS MathCounts Champions (2019 & 2013)
- Stock Market Competition Regional Champions (2013)
- DPS Positive Behavior Interventions & Support Model School (2013)
- NC Science Olympiad Spirit Award (2012)
- US Treasury "Save Out Loud" Contest Grand Prize Winner (2012)
- DPS Cross Country Champions (2011)
- DPS Girls Basketball Champions (2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2004, 2003)
- DPS Boys Soccer Champions (2009)
- DPS Girls Softball Champions (2004)
Year Round Calendar
Rogers-Herr operates on a year-round schedule which divides the year into 9-week quarters separated by 3-week intersession breaks. School starts in mid-July and ends in early June, with a 5-week summer break.
- Students retain their learning better over the shorter summer break
- 3-week-long intersession breaks allow teachers and students to rest, reflect and return refreshed
- Family vacation time can be used more creatively
- The curriculum can incorporate seasonal learning
- DPS aligns calendars so families with children in both year-round and traditional schools have overlapping breaks
- All DPS year-round schools are on the same calendar
Visit the Durham Public Schools calendars page to learn more.
Many community organizations (as well as Durham Public Schools) offer enriching child care during the quarterly intersessions. Check out our list of local intersession camp providers.