The Whitted School opened August 31, 2017. This facility provides a high-quality Pre-K program to Durham County local 4-year-olds which will greatly impact their kindergarten readiness. Priority is given to children living in zones for the following elementary schools: C.C. Spaulding, Eastway, Fayetteville Street, Lakewood, W.G. Pearson and Y.E. Smith. If there are any additional spots remaining, any 4-year old in the District may apply to attend.
This facility incorporates part of the building for affordable senior housing which lends itself to ongoing intergenerational activities.
Give your child the gift of kindergarten readiness at the Whitted School!
Office of Early Education Core Beliefs:
- Durham Public Schools is a Pre-K -12 school system and preschool builds the foundation for our learners.
- Parents are their child’s first teacher.
- Respecting families and building positive partnerships are critical.
- The Office of Early Education intentionally collaborates within Durham Public Schools and with community partners to align services, curriculum, resources and policies.
- All stakeholders are an important part of the Office of Early Education’s vision and mission, and are valued for their contributions.
- All children learn and progress by providing appropriate access, participation, and support.
- Highly effective staff using research-based instructional strategies, best practices, and data are essential to building a strong foundation for every child.
- Leadership is encouraged, creativity is valued, and continuous improvement is expected.
Address: 1210 Sawyer Street Durham, NC 27707
Degrees and Certifications: