The Whitted School opened August 31, 2017. This facility provides a high-quality Pre-K program to Durham County local 4-year-olds which will greatly impact their kindergarten readiness. Priority is given to children living in zones for the following elementary schools: C.C. Spaulding, Eastway, Fayetteville Street, Lakewood, W.G. Pearson and Y.E. Smith. If there are any additional spots remaining, any 4-year old in the District may apply to attend.
This facility incorporates part of the building for affordable senior housing which lends itself to ongoing intergenerational activities.
Give your child the gift of kindergarten readiness at the Whitted School!
Office of Early Education Core Beliefs:
- Durham Public Schools is a Pre-K -12 school system and preschool builds the foundation for our learners.
- Parents are their child’s first teacher.
- Respecting families and building positive partnerships are critical.
- The Office of Early Education intentionally collaborates within Durham Public Schools and with community partners to align services, curriculum, resources and policies.
- All stakeholders are an important part of the Office of Early Education’s vision and mission, and are valued for their contributions.
- All children learn and progress by providing appropriate access, participation, and support.
- Highly effective staff using research-based instructional strategies, best practices, and data are essential to building a strong foundation for every child.
- Leadership is encouraged, creativity is valued, and continuous improvement is expected.
Address: 1210 Sawyer Street Durham, NC 27707
The Whitted School will be closed
Monday, January 21, 2019
in observance of Martin Luther King Jr.
“I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
- Martin Luther King Jr.
La Escuela Whitted estara cerrado
Lunes, 21 de Enero 2019
en observacion de Martin Luther King Jr.
"Espero un día en que las personas no sean juzgadas por el color de su piel, sino por el contenido de su personaje".
- Martin Luther King Jr.
Do you or someone you know have a child that is ready for Pre K?
We invite you to come visit us Wednesday, January 23 or Wednesday, February 13 at 9:30 am! Please call us at 919.560.9492 to let us know which date you would like to attend.
¿Usted o alguien que conoce tiene un hijo que está listo para Pre K?
Lo invitamos a vistarnos el Miercoles, 23 de Enero o Miercoles, 13 de Febrero a las 9:30 am! Por favor llamenos al 919.560.9492 para dejarnos saber que fecha desea asistir.