To be eligible for tryouts, practice, or participation in interscholastic athletic contests, a player must meet all North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) and Durham Public Schools (DPS) eligibility requirements and policies:
- Must not participate if he/she becomes 19 years of age on or before August 1st.
- Must follow NCHSAA rules which have an 85% attendance requirement (approximately 13.5 days) for the previous semester and includes all absences.
- DPS requires athletes (and coaches alike) to be present the entire day in order to participate in activities or practices.
- Must meet promotion requirements at HHS to be eligible for the fall semester.
- Must earn passing grades in at least 75% of classes for participation during the preceding semester.
- Must participate at the school to which he or she is assigned by the local board of education based on the residence of the parent or legal custodian within the administrative unit. The athlete must live with the parents or legal guardian.
- Must be a properly enrolled student in a member school of the DPS district, must be enrolled no later than the 15th day of the present semester, and must be in regular attendance at that school.
- Must receive a medical examination once every 365 days by a duly licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or a physicians assistant.
- Must be released by a licensed physician if absent from athletic practice for five or more days due to illness or injury.