Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Kendell Dorsey, Principal
Our focus is to be GREATER TOGETHER. I recognize the importance of all of us working together makes the biggest impact for our students! We look forward to partnering with families and community members to unite as one to create an experience for our students like none other! Working together will make the difference in not only helping our students make their goal but to exceed them!
My commitment to student success is unwavering. My guiding principle is that all students will learn. I believe the school community’s responsibility is to create a safe environment which fosters the full potential of every student. It is my on-going commitment to partner with staff, families, and the community to maximize our students’ success. I am excited about what we will do together at W.G. Pearson!
- Masters in Educational Leadership, University of Cincinnati
- Bachelor of Arts from Mount Saint Joseph University in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Coordinator, DPS Curriculum & Instruction
- Assistant Principal, Pearsontown Elementary
- Elementary Principal of two schools in Cincinnati over an 8 year span
- School Improvement Coach
- Former middle school mathematics teacher for 9 years
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Christy Hall - Assistant Principal
About W.G. Pearson Elementary
Address: 3501 Fayetteville Street Durham NC 27707
Hours of Operation: 7:45 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.
As a S.T.E.A.M. Magnet, we challenge students to achieve at high levels and support them as they undertake new learning activities. Our curriculum focus is Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics (S.T.E.A.M.), and our students use Chromebooks or iPads daily to master the NC Common Core curriculum through discovery-based learning.
Why have a STEAM focus?Our students will engage in multiple S.T.E.A.M. experiences throughout the year! Guest lectures, working in our amazing garden, field trips and hands on activities will allow students to heavily engage in the areas of S.T.E.A.M.In addition, our students in grades 3-5 will choose their arts based electives to suit their interests! This allows us to offer a full band and/or dance team as an option for our students. Students interested in art also have the opportunity to have a deeper experience.
What kinds of students would thrive here?
What makes WG Pearson S.T.E.A.M. Magnet Elementary School different?WG Pearson Elementary believes in developing the whole child. We celebrate the natural curiosity of children, and we design instruction to engage each student in academic achievement, personal growth, and social development. All students have access to laptops and the latest educational technology to create a unique opportunity for students to experience the wonders of our modern world. This emphasis on technology, along with our S.T.E.A.M. curriculum focus, prepares our students for success.
- Students who are natural explorers
- Students who love hands-on learning activities
- Students who enjoy working with others
- Students who challenge themselves to excel
Is STEAM for my child?
All students benefit from integrated STEAM education; it teaches independent innovation and allows students to explore subjects in greater depth. The hands-on nature of STEAM instruction increases the likelihood of success among students of all learning styles and abilities.
What does the program require of parents and students?
Parents are expected to:
- Be involved in their child’s education & school activities
- Uphold the program’s standards & expectations
- Support regular and timely attendance
- Communicate regularly with teachers
Students are expected to:
- Interact respectfully with all teachers and students
- Give 100% effort on all assignments
- Follow the Durham Public Schools Code of Conduct
- Use technology appropriately and responsibly