1. SOUTHERN SES SCHOOL NURSE SERVICES
a. Services DPS Nurse CAN PROVIDE:
- Minor acute/injury care
- Medication administration (with Parent Request and Provider Order Form for Medication)
- Nursing Evaluation with referral and/or student pick-up
b. Services DPS Nurse CANNOT PROVIDE:
- Give any medication without Parent Request and Provider Order Form for Medication.
* A referral to Southern SES Wellness Center can occur*.
c. Please see link to the forms below -"Parent Request and Provider Order Form for Medication".
Authorization for School and Student Medication Administration - English
Authorization for School and Student Medication Administration-Spanish
2. Transfer Students
a. In state transfers (coming from a school in NC)
- Requirements: Immunization Record
- Recommended: Health Assessment or Physical
b. Out of state transfers (coming from another state or country)
- Requirements: Immunization record and health assessment
c. Please see link to the forms below - NC assessment forms (English and Spanish)
NC Health Assessment Form - English
NC Health Assessment Form - Spanish
3. Meningococcal vaccine for Meningitis
- The purpose of this letter is to inform you of immunization requirements that will impact rising 12th grade students. Students entering 12th grade are required to have a booster (second) dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine if they have not already received one. An up-to-date immunization record indicating that your student has received all required immunizations is due by the first day of attendance at school. If proof of immunization is not provided within 30 calendar days after school entry, your student will not be allowed to attend school until it is provided, as required by law. North Carolina law provides for only two types of exemptions from required immunizations. These are medical (N.C. G.S.130A-156 Medical Exemption) and religious (N.C. G.S.130A-157 Religious Exemption), as detailed below. If your child has a medical or religious exemption to this vaccine(s), you are required to provide documentation of this exemption(s).
b. Healthcare Providers for Immunizations
- Your Primary Care Provider (PCP)
- The Health Department
- Southern SES Wellness Center (provided through Duke University Medical Center).
c. Please see link to "Grade 12 School Vaccine and Menningitis Fact Sheet".
4. Southern SES Wellness Center
a. Service Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
b. Services Provided
- Physical Exams (routine, sports, camp, and job)
- Screenings (vision, hearing, and dental health)
- Acute illnesses/injuries treatment
- Chronic illness management
- Health education
- Mental and emotional support and counseling
- Immunizations (Tetanus/TD and Meningococcal)
c. Please see the links below to print out wellness center packets in English and Spanish.
Revised Wellness Packet - English
Revised Wellness Packet - Spanish
If your child has a health condition, do not hesitate to contact the school's nurse.
Cherrelle Hawkins (School Nurse)
Southern School of Energy and Sustainability
Tel: 919-560-3968 x68252