Driver Education Classes
- The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind-the-wheel training. All Durham city/county students who are at least 14 ½ years old and enrolled in a public, private, charter or home school in Durham are eligible to take Driver Education with Durham Public Schools.
- Students wishing to take Driver Education must be eligible to receive a driver eligibility certificate. Students who have failed two or more classes the previous semester are not eligible to take Driver Education.
To take Driver Education with Durham Public Schools a student must be in one of these categories:
- Attend a Durham Public School high school
- Attend a private school located in Durham
- Attend a registered “home school" located in Durham.
- A student must be 14 ½ years of age on the first day of class.
DPS will be using an “on-line” payment system for the $45 fee for Driver Education. The fee will be paid by credit card or with debit card. Students who do not have a credit or debit card may obtain one from a store. Students need to remember that some places will charge a service fee for the card and need to add that to the amount put on the card.
Students that are dismissed from a Driver Education class due to behavior or attendance problems will not be allowed to take Driver Education a second time through Durham Public Schools.