Driver Education Classes
- The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of behind-the-wheel training. All Durham city/county students who are at least 14 ½ years old and enrolled in a public, private, charter or home school in Durham are eligible to take Driver Education with Durham Public Schools.
- Students wishing to take Driver Education must be eligible to receive a driver eligibility certificate. Students who have failed two or more classes the previous semester are not eligible to take Driver Education.
To take Driver Education with Durham Public Schools a student must be in one of these categories:
- Attend a Durham Public School high school
- Attend a private school located in Durham
- Attend a registered “home school" located in Durham.
- A student must be 14 ½ years of age on the first day of class.
DPS will be using an “on-line” payment system for the $45 fee for Driver Education. The fee will be paid by credit card or with debit card. Students who do not have a credit or debit card may obtain one from a store. Students need to remember that some places will charge a service fee for the card and need to add that to the amount put on the card.
Students that are dismissed from a Driver Education class due to behavior or attendance problems will not be allowed to take Driver Education a second time through Durham Public Schools.
The following are the dates and times for the Summer classes for Driver Education. The registration dates and times are posted for each class. Please remember, you may only register for a class at the school you are enrolled in. If you register for a school you do not attend, you will be removed from the registration. All classes meet over zoom and if your registration is accepted you will be notified once we have confirmed your registration with the class information. Students must be 14 ½ to register for a class. Payment information will be given on the first day the class meets. Links to the registrations are below.
Durham School of the Arts and Creative Studies
Summer Classes (Please note that summer classes are ONLY offered in the evening):
June 19th - 30th 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Registration opens May 27th at 9 a.m.
July 10th - 21st 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Registration opens June 24th at 9 a.m.
Creative Studies Evening Class Registration