The DPS Learning Centers will give Durham families and students another option for accessing the remote learning that DPS is providing under our Plan C reopening.
The Learning Centers are an expanded, day-long version of our before-and-after school program. Students attending the learning centers will receive high quality child supervision from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students will also be expected to access and attend their Plan C remote educational services while at the Learning Center.
The Learning Centers will charge fees on a sliding income scale, just like the before-and-after school programs we have always operated. Because of the sliding fee scale, the Learning Centers will offer day-long support and supervision to many of our students at an affordable fee that is far below market rates. Students who qualify for Free/ Reduce lunch, homeless or in foster care will not be charged.
Centers will operate for PreK - 5 grades at Eno Valley and WG Person* elementary schools. Students in grades 6-12 will be served at Carrington and Shepard middle schools. Spaces are limited. The waitlist will be formed after registrations reach capacity.
To keep children and staff safe, DPS Learning Centers will follow CDC, NCDHHS, and local protocols to reduce the chances of exposure to COVID -19. However, we cannot guarantee that exposure will not occur. You can read our FAQ for Learning Centers (English, Spanish) to better understand the steps and protocols we have taken to operate centers safely and minimize the risk of exposure.
PRINT REGISTRATION FORM
These will be accepted via email, fax, or by dropping off at the office dropbox.
REGISTER for TRANSPORTATION
Please call the DPS transportation office at (919)560-BUSS if you have an elementary student that needs a bus shuttle from a school to Learning Center.
*Operations are subject to change based on district and health decisions. Additional weeks may be added depending on school district guidance.
**All Learning Centers follow the DPS School Calendar.
Due to the high demand of DPS Learning Centers, we are working on adding additional staff while maintaining COVID protocols. Currently we have a waitlist at each of our Learning Centers.
Here are additional community based Learning Centers available in Durham County.
- Bull City Colab sponsored by Kate’s Korner
Contact: https://www.kateskornerdurham.com/contact or call (919) 523-8455.
- Durham Parks and Recreation
Contact: https://www.dprplaymore.org or call (919) 560-4355.
- The W.G. Pearson Learning Center sponsored by Student U
Contact: https://studentudurham.org/enroll-in-the-learning-center or call (919) 808-5791.
Contact: https://www.ymcatriangle.org/ or call (919)667-9622.
- Child Care Services Association (Referral Agency Only)
Contact: https://www.childcareservices.org/contact/ or call (919) 403-6950.
Program seats will be limited and are always a challenge. Enrollments are determined by a number of factors including hiring qualified staff, grade level of students, school space, and other NC licensing requirements. COVID-19 will also play a major part in our ability to serve students this year. If you are placed on a "waitlist", we will contact you as soon as a space becomes available. You would not be required to pay anything except the $35 registration fee to remain on the waitlist. This registration fee is fully refundable should you decide to withdraw from the waitlist.
REFUNDS or CREDITS will be issued:
- One week's written notice before the next week begins.
- Students fail their health screening and sent home.
- Students are required to be quarantined or isolated due to them or someone they live with those who testes positive for COVID-19 (A doctor's note will be required).
- The learning center must be closed due to Covid-19 protocols
- Eno Valley Elementary (beginning August 24) *Waitlist Available
117 Milton Rd., Durham (Learning Center Phone: 919-287-5675)
- WG Pearson Elementary (beginning August 24) *Waitlist Available
3501 Fayetteville St., Durham (Learning Center Phone: 919-287-5689)
- Carrington Middle (beginning August 31) *Waitlist Available
227 Milton Rd., Durham (Learning Center Phone: 919-287-5699)
- Shepard Middle (beginning August 31) *Waitlist Available
2401 Dakota St., Durham (Learning Center Phone: 919-287-5705)
*To be placed on a waitlist, complete a registration form. If you wish to be removed from the waitlist submit a written request. Waitlist students will be accpeted on the order that it's received.
- DSS Vouchers Accepted (Elementary Locations Only, Pre-K Not eligible): Contact the Durham County Department of Social Services at (919) 560-8300
- Free/ Reduce Lunch Students (Free: No Weekly Fees)
- Income Eligible/ Sliding Scale (50% Discount)
- Durham Public Schools Employees (25% Discount)
What should students bring
The following items must be sent with your child each day in a backpack. Clearly mark your child's name on all belongings.
- Clean Mask
- Healthy snack
- DPS issued laptop & charger
- Headphones for laptops
- All login information that your child will need to access their online instruction
- School supplies as needed to complete assignments
ARRIVAL and DEPARTURES
Our hours are from 7 am to 6 pm daily. Parents must sign-in/out their child each day with the staff at the camp entrance to ensure a safe arrival and departure.
Arrivals: Parents should walk their child to the "waiting area" at the designated door entering the school building. Staggered arrival strategies will be implemented to promote social distancing and to conduct health screenings. Parents and visitors are not permitted in the building to ensure the health and safety of our children and staff. Parents will be asked before the children are permitted inside:
- Have you (child) had contact with anyone that you know has been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Have you (child) had a positive -COVID test for active virus in the past 10 days?
- Does your child have any of the symptoms that you cannot attribute to another condition? (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, gastrointestinal issues, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea)
If all questions can be answered "no", the child's temperature will be taken using a digital (contactless) thermometer before entering the building. Children will be directed to their assigned classroom where they will receive breakfast or lunch and prepare for their online instruction.
Sick Child: If your child has a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater, or appears to have symptoms, the child will not be admitted. If your child demonstrates COVID-like symptoms (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, the new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, gastrointestinal issues, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea) during the program they will be moved to an isolated location and the family will be notified for immediate pickup.
If your child is negative for COVID-19 but has symptoms or has a fever, they will not be allowed permitted to return for ten days unless they have a doctor's note.
Departures: Parents should remain outside the entrance door where a staff member will greet you and call for your child from their group. Your child will meet you with their belongings outside the door where you will sign your child out for the day. We will expect parents to the social distance while waiting outside for their child(ren) to be dismissed.
- All (AM) students must be picked up before 12:00 p.m. before incurring a late fee.
- All (PM) students must not arrive at the campus before 1:00 p.m. and must be picked up by 6:00 p.m. before incurring a late fee.
Your child's safety is most important to us. Our programs will adhere to CDC guidelines and directives from the NC Department of Health and Human Services, NC Department of Child Development and Early Education, and Durham Public Schools in conjunction with our local health authorities. We will adjust our practices as guidelines may change. Face coverings are expected at all times indoors and outdoors. We will be limiting the sharing of supplies and frequent hand washing will be enforced. No field trips will be scheduled nor will guests/visitors be allowed inside our program spaces unless mandated (ex. DSS visits, receiving special services, etc.).
DAILY PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Children will be assigned to a small group of 10 students in similar grades and will remain with their group for the entire day. There will be minimal interaction between groups. Staff will remain with their group. Students will receive breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack each day. All meals including snacks will be served in their classroom.
Activities will be fun and interesting but handled differently than normal. We will social distance whenever possible, select contactless games, and provide short breaks in between activities to clean and sanitize materials and furnishings. Students will be expected to wash or sanitize hands frequently.
When students have completed their online instruction for the day, students will have time for homework or structured age-appropriate enrichment activities. Program staff has planned activities, games, and special projects that are fun and engaging while promoting social distancing for a safe and healthy environment. Program expectations and guidance such as practicing social distancing, proper handwashing, etc. will be reviewed each day with participants.
Families who desire bus transportation should register at the link above. Students will be transported from their assigned school each day. Students receiving bus transportation will be dismissed from the program at 4:00 p.m. each day. Bus pick-up and drop-off times will be posted to this website.
*Our offices are currently closed to the public. Please call or email us at:
- Community_Education @dpsnc.net
- Office Phone: (919) 560-9488
- Office Fax: (919) 560-2177
DPS Staff Development Center
2107 Hillandale Road, Durham
Classroom Bldg. (Front door)
DPS- Community Education and Family Engagment
PO Box 1967
Durham, NC. 27702-1967
LEARNING CENTER OFFICE PHONE
- Eno Valley: (919) 287-5675
- WG Person: (919) 287-5689
- Carrington: (919) 287-5699
- Shepard: (919) 287-5705
- Bull City Colab sponsored by Kate’s Korner