Arts Education includes four separate and distinct disciplines: dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts - each with its own body of knowledge and skills. Arts education benefits both student and society, because students of the arts disciplines gain powerful tools for:
- understanding human experiences, both past, and present;
- teamwork and collaboration;
- making decisions creatively and solving problems, when no prescribed answers exist;
- adapting to and respecting others' diverse ways of thinking, working, and expressing themselves;
- understanding the influence of the arts and their power to create and reflect cultures;
- analyzing nonverbal communication, and making informed judgments about products and issues; and,
- communicating effectively.
The arts are well-rounded subjects in the Federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act, and the NC Basic Education Program, and, as such, are included as subjects every student should learn as part of a balanced curriculum in North Carolina. While not all students will become professional dancers, musicians, actors, or visual artists, all students will benefit from skills and processes that are developed through the arts and that can be applied in a variety of disciplines and settings.
Arts Happenings at DPS
Hillside High School students will get an opportunity to meet stage and film performers as part of the "Celebrities in the Classroom” program.
Hillside High School Drama Kicks Off 2018-19 Season with Celebrity Reception and Opening of The Color Purple
Celebrity Celebration kicks Hillside High School 2018-19 Drama Season
DPS students will have an opportunity to take part in an Audition Masterclass with the cast of the award-winning musical Hamilton.
Students from Hillside High School and City of Medicine Academy have been selected to perform prior to the Thursday, Nov. 1, performance of Hamilton: An American Musical in Charlotte, NC.
Upcoming DPS Arts Events
February 8, 2019
7:30 PM - 9:00 PM An Evening of Entertainment (Specialized Services)
March 2, 2019
9:30 AM - 4:30 PM Destination Dance (Specialized Services)
April 10, 2019
7:30 AM - 9:00 PM DPS Art Show - Secondary (Specialized Services)
April 12, 2019
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM Elementary All-County Chorus (Specialized Services)
May 1, 2019
7:30 AM - 9:00 PM DPS Art Show - Elementary (Specialized Services)