Registering for School
If your students are new or returning to Durham Public Schools, registration/enrollment is processed at the assigned school. Below is a list of acceptable documents that you may use as proof of domicile (current residence) in conjunction with the additional documents listed. Schools are assigned by address and can be identified by entering your current address using this online interactive map.
When it is necessary for a student to reside with an individual other than his or his parents, the adult individual with whom the student is residing must complete a Non-Parental Enrollment Affidavit and provide the following documentation to the Office of Student Assignment.
- If the parent has relinquished his/her custody of the student – current court order or legal document attesting legal guardianship/custodial proceedings
- If the parent is deceased – obituary or death certificate
- If the parent has abandoned, abused or neglected the student – statement of foster placement from Child Protective Service, Social Services, Dept. of Mental Health, etc., on letterhead, listing the foster parent name, address, placement date, etc.
- If the parent is hospitalized for physical, mental or emotional conditions – statement from doctor or care facility on letterhead, regarding nature, onset, duration and inability of parent to care for the student
- If the parent is deployed on active military duty for less than 30 days - current deployment documents
- If the parent is incarcerated, statement from the parent and proof of incarceration from the facility where the parent is being detained
Students Transferring To A Different Course Schedule - Students transferring from a block schedule school to a year-long schedule school, or from a year-long schedule school to a block schedule school after the first quarter of the school year, may be at risk of losing course credits. Please contact the assigned school counselor to discuss the impact on course credits and possible options.
Students Relocating Within DPS To A Different Attendance Zone- Parents/guardians of current DPS students moving within Durham Public Schools to a new attendance zone must complete an official withdrawal form at the current school. Take this form, acceptable proof of domicile, and your parent/guardian picture ID to the new school for enrollment.
Acceptable Documents for Proof of Domicile (POD)
- Proof of Legal Domicile - The parent, legal guardian/custodian, must be currently domiciled within the geographic boundary of the Durham Public Schools district (“Domicile” is defined as a permanent, established home, as distinguished from a temporary place of residence. A person may have more than one residence, but only one legal domicile)
- Current lease, deed or mortgage statement in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Current domicile (residence) property tax statement in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian to month lease and one (1) utility bill (gas, water, electric only) issued within 30 days, in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Three current, consecutive months of rental receipts and one (1) current utility bill (gas, water, electric only), in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Statement in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Homeland Security/ICE or Federal Resettlement document
- Two (2) current utility bills (gas, water, electric only) issued within 30 days of enrollment, in the name of the parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Shared Housing Affidavits Completed at the Office of Student Assignment– in conjunction with the Shared Housing Affidavits, the home owner/lease holder must present one of the above forms of proof of residency and their picture ID, while the parent/legal guardian/custodian of the student presents their picture ID. Once both documents have been approved and notarized at the Office of Student Assignment, the parent will be instructed to take the documents to the assigned school for enrollment
Additional Required Documents
- Picture ID of parent, legal guardian/custodian
- Completed official withdrawal form from previous school (if applicable)
- Report card/transcripts from last school and grade attended
- Proof of immunizations within 30 days of enrollment
- Immunization records must have the following information:
- Five DPT doses (diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis). If the forth dose (booster) is given on or after the fourth birthday, the fifth dose is not required.
- Four oral polio vaccines (OPV), one of which must be a booster given on or after the fourth birthday. If the third dose is given on or after the fourth birthday, the fourth dose in not required.
- Two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) doses with the first dose on or after the first birthday and a second dose given before entering school.
- At least one dose of Haemophilus influenza, b (HbOC or PRP-OMP), given on or after the first birthday and before five years of age. (Second dose is not required if the first dose was given after 15 months of age.)
- Three Hepatitis B doses (not required if born before July 1994)
- Two Varicella dose on or after age 12 months and before age 19 months
- Health Assessment Form (K- 12th) is available at schools and DPS website. It MUST be completed for students new to North Carolina schools within the first 30 days of their enrollment
- Birth Certificate (only required for kindergarten registration and must be a certified copy of the original document)
- Social Security Number (not required, but helpful for tracking archived student records)
To save time, please download and fill out the appropriate application packet (grades K-8 English or Spanish; grades 9-12 English or Spanish) and bring it and the above documents to the assigned school to complete the process.
If additional assistance is needed, please contact the Office of Student Assignment at 919-560-2059.