Before- & After-school Programs
Pearsontown Afterschool is currently CLOSED.Thank you for choosing Durham Public Schools Before- and After-school Programs!
You have selected a program that has more than 35 years of experience providing quality expanded learning opportunities to elementary students.
We support academic achievement in DPS Before- and After-school programs! This year, your child will experience a balance of homework time, enrichment, and recreational activities that are considered elements of a high-quality program. Our elementary programs are licensed and regularly evaluated by the North Carolina Division of Child Development and 95 percent of our programs have 5-star ratings!
Things to know about the before- and after-school programs:
- Before-school programs open at 6:30 a.m. and operate until the first bell rings.
- After-school programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6 p.m.
- After-school programs also operate on early dismissal days at no extra cost to parents!
- Monthly payments cover 20 days (no charge for days when school is out).
- Our programs offer full-time enrollment only; no part-time enrollment is available.
- Financial assistance is available through DPS by calling 919-560-9488.
- Our program is eligible for Department of Social Services childcare vouchers. Call 919-560-8300.
Registration for these programs is required.
- There is a nonrefundable registration fee of $35 per child.
- Registrations are open all year, but accepted based on available space.
- Your chid can begin attending programs two business days from the day you register. Register on Monday before 5pm and your child can start on Wednesday. If you register after 5pm, your child two day wait starts the net business day.
- Some Situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, child needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start date is necessary.
Please see the brochure for pricing.
Middle School ENCORE!
Rogers Herr is currently CLOSED, accepting wait list.
ENCORE! is a low cost afterschool prgram for DPS middle school students currently supoorted by Durham County Government and Durham Public Schools. It started as a community collaborative in 1994 when county, city, and DPS officials, along with many local community agencies, worked together to organize afterschool programs that addressed the needs of 10-14 year-old children after the school day ends. Statistics showed that students at that age are at the greatest risk of experimenting with risky behaviors or juvenile crime from 3 to 6 p.m. when students are unsupervised. With the caring support of afterschool staff including teachers, students build trust and meaningful relationships with adults that provide positive guidance while they participate in enrichment, physical activity, clubs, and educational endeavors that help prepare students for the future.
Mission, Vision and Goals:
To provide positive educational, social and recreational alternatives for middle school students during after school hours that reinforce and complement the school day as added learning time.
Knowing that middle school students typically spend after-school hours unsupervised and uninvolved in their communities at a key time in their lives characterized by high energy, a striving for self-definition, and a need to prove their personal competence in a variety of areas, we believe that the afterschool program should provide all middle school students the opportunity to enhance their academic progress, skills and interests. We further believe that the participation in this program will result in increased school attendance, development of positive peer relationships, and reduction of at-risk behavior.
Registration for these prgorams are required.
To enroll, you may register online.
Before- & After School Contact Information
DPS Staff Development Center
2107 Hillandale Rd, Classroom Bldg. Rm 101 (I-85 Exit 175-B)
Mail to:Community Education Accounting Office
PO Box 1967
Durham, NC 27702-1967Fax To:
Community Education Accounting Office