Before- & After-school Programs
2019-2020 School Year Registration
Before and Afterschool Programs
No Fee Increases..... Sign-up Today, see links below to register!
-Programs have limited spaces-
The following afterschool programs are currently CLOSED for the 2019-20 school year and students are being placed on a wait list....
Wait list school parents wishing to register on-line can pay only the $35 registration fee to get a place on the wait list. You can make the first cycle payment at the time we contact you of an available space.
Thank you for choosing Durham Public Schools Before- and After-school Programs!
- CC SPAULDING
- CLUB BLVD.
- EK POWE
- FAYETTEVILLE ST.
- FOREST VIEW
- GEORGE WATTS
- GITHENS Middle School
- HOPE VALLEY
- LITTLE RIVER
- PEARSONTOWN (Before & Afterschool Programs)
- RN HARRIS
- ROGERS HERR Middle School
- SPRING VALLEY
You have selected a program that has more than 35 years of experience providing quality expanded learning opportunities to elementary students.
We support academic achievement in DPS Before- and After-school programs! This year, your child will experience a balance of homework time, enrichment, and recreational activities that are considered elements of a high-quality program. Our elementary programs are licensed and regularly evaluated by the North Carolina Division of Child Development and 95 percent of our programs have 5-star ratings!
Things to know about the before- and after-school programs:
- Before-school programs open at 6:30 a.m. and operate until the first bell rings.
- After-school programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6:00 p.m.
- After-school programs also operate on early dismissal days at no extra cost to parents!
- Monthly payments cover 20 days (no charge for days when school is out).
- Our programs offer full-time enrollment only; no part-time enrollment is available.
- Financial assistance is available through DPS by calling 919-560-9488.
- Our program is eligible for Department of Social Services childcare vouchers. Call 919-560-8300 or click here for more infomatch Financial Assistance Form.
Registration for these programs is required.
Or pick up a registration form at our offices at 2107 Hillandale Rd. or your school office.
- There is a nonrefundable registration fee of $35 per child.
- Registrations are open all year, but accepted based on available space.
- Your chid can begin attending programs two business days from the day you register. Register on Monday before 5pm and your child can start on Wednesday. If you register after 5pm, your child two day wait starts the net business day.
- Some Situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, child needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start date is necessary.
Please see the brochure for pricing.
Delayed Start Schedule
(Traditional) Elementary Schools
Registration Deadline Start Date
August 16 August 26 (Monday) - First day of school
August 17-21 August 28 (Wednesday)
August 22-23 August 29 (Thursday)
August 24-30 September 4 (Wednesday)
*Some situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, child needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start date is necessary. Delayed start schedule is subject to change.
Middle School ENCORE!
ENCORE! is a low cost afterschool prgram for DPS middle school students currently supoorted by Durham County Government and Durham Public Schools. It started as a community collaborative in 1994 when county, city, and DPS officials, along with many local community agencies, worked together to organize afterschool programs that addressed the needs of 10-14 year-old children after the school day ends. Statistics showed that students at that age are at the greatest risk of experimenting with risky behaviors or juvenile crime from 3 to 6 p.m. when students are unsupervised. With the caring support of afterschool staff including teachers, students build trust and meaningful relationships with adults that provide positive guidance while they participate in enrichment, physical activity, clubs, and educational endeavors that help prepare students for the future.
Mission, Vision and Goals:
To provide positive educational, social and recreational alternatives for middle school students during after school hours that reinforce and complement the school day as added learning time.
Knowing that middle school students typically spend after-school hours unsupervised and uninvolved in their communities at a key time in their lives characterized by high energy, a striving for self-definition, and a need to prove their personal competence in a variety of areas, we believe that the afterschool program should provide all middle school students the opportunity to enhance their academic progress, skills and interests. We further believe that the participation in this program will result in increased school attendance, development of positive peer relationships, and reduction of at-risk behavior.
Registration for these programs are required.
Encore! Afterschool Registration begins Thursday, July 18th, 2019
ENCORE! Start Deadlines
Regristration Deadlines Start Date
By August 23 September 9 (Monday) First Day of Program
August 23 - September 10 September 16 Monday
After September 10 See Schedule Below
Register On: Start On:
Monday Following Monday
Tuesday Following Tuesday
Wednesday Monday (Week)
Thursday Monday (Week)
Friday Monday (Week)
Before- & After School Contact Information
DPS Staff Development Center
2107 Hillandale Rd, Classroom Bldg. Rm 101 (I-85 Exit 175-B)
Mail to:Community Education Accounting Office
PO Box 1967
Durham, NC 27702-1967Fax To:
Community Education Accounting Office