Benefits and Perks
The DPS Finance Academy Program is a unique program that offers many exciting opportunities and benefits to its students, including:
- Eligibility for college scholarships for those planning to major in business.
- Many opportunities to participate in presentations and panel discussions given by CPAs and other business professionals on current events and developments in the industry.
- Access to CPAs and other business professionals to be able to ask questions and job shadow.
- Opportunities for job internships are available, which provide real-life work experience for students .
- Access to Finance Academy teachers and faculty to assist with career path decisions.
- Invitation to the AICPA open house, where students meet and interact with business professionals.
- Special courses given on interviewing skills, business etiquette and customer service to prepare students for the workforce.
As part of the Finance Academy, students are part of a dynamic group of individuals with similar academic interests. Currently 100 percent of students who enroll in the Finance Academy end up graduating from high school, and nearly four out of five go on to college. As we continue to grow and develop this critical program, students are very involved in the process, and are asked for feedback on all facets of the program. Students attending various events and presentations are surveyed about issues in which they are most interested and about which they would like to learn more. We believe that involving students in the decisions that are made with regards to the program makes them more engaged in their academic future.
The Business & Finance Academy (BFA) accepts students via an application process. In early January, a mailer goes to all DPS 8th-grade students outlining the various high school options available to them. Specific BFA information is included in this mailer. The BFA also is highlighted annually at the DPS Choice Fair and at the DPS Showcase of Schools.
Interested students must be committed to the four-year program and have a strong academic record. Applications must be submitted by the last Friday in January for the upcoming school year. Applications can be obtained from the on-site counselors in all DPS middle and high schools or by visiting the DPS Office of Student Assignment, Fuller Building, 511 Cleveland Street, Phone: 560-2059.
Click here for the current BFA Application.