We Are Kings
WE ARE KINGS (Boys of Color Program) is a Durham Public Schools district initiative, which empowers boys of color to become agents and advocates for more equitable practices in their schools. The program provides assistance with healthy identity development, cultural affirmation and social justice.
The WE ARE KINGS Boys of Color Program seeks to:
- Decrease suspension rates and increase attendance.
- Increase literacy and graduation rates.
- Decrease the opportunity/achievement gap
- Empower student voice with leadership development and opportunities.
- Monthly Meetings
- Monthly Kings will be taught core character traits to provide long-term solutions that address moral, ethical and academic issues. They also will discuss social justice issues and have a guest speaker from the community.
- King Celebrations
- Kings are recognized for their accomplishments and success throughout the school year and are encouraged to remain focused and motivated.
- Parent/Guardian Engagement
- Parents/Guardians are invited to school to engage in meaningful activities with their Kings. Parents/Guardians will receive resources that will equip them to assist their King with their education.