What is McKinney-Vento?
A law that was put into place to protect and remove barriers to education for students in transition or displaced from their home
Who Qualifies for McKinney-Vento?
- Children or Youth that lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
- Families who are “doubled-up” sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason
- Families living in motels/hotels, trailer parks, and camping grounds due to a lack of adequate alternative accommodations
- Families living in emergency or transitional shelters
An unaccompanied youth is any student not living in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian.
Rights & Services
- Immediate Enrollment
- Free Lunch
- Family Resource Closet
- Youth Rights (PDF)
- Parent Rights (PDF)
- Durham Public Schools Dispute Process
District McKinney-Vento Data:
Number of Students Identified
NC Homeless Education Website: https://hepnc.uncg.edu/