School Enrollment Information

  • New Enrollments
    Use the DPS website to enroll your student using the online enrollment system for students new to Durham Public Schools. 

    Returning/Current DPS Students:
    The process and links for enrollment are listed above. Below is a list of acceptable documents that you may use as proof of domicile (current residence) in conjunction with the additional documents listed. Schools are assigned by address and can be identified by entering your current address using this online interactive map

    Acceptable Documents for Proof of Domicile (POD) - Please provide one source from the options below.

    • Current lease, deed or mortgage statement in the name of the parent/ legal guardian; or
    • A month to month lease, and one (1) utility bill (gas, water, electric only) issued within 30 days of enrollment in the name of the parent/legal guardian; or
    • Current (domicile) property tax statement in the name of the parent/legal guardian; or
    • Three consecutive months of rental receipts(most recent one dated within 30 days of enrollment), and one (1) current utility bill (gas, water, electric) in the name of the parent/legal guardian; or
    • Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Statement in the name of the parent/legal guardian; or
    • Homeland Security/ICE or Federal Resettlement document; or
    • Two (2) current utility bills (gas, water, electric) issued within 30 days of enrollment, in the name of the parent/legal guardian; or
    • Affidavit/Declaration of Residency completed at the Office of Student Assignment or the ESL Resource Center. The homeowner/lease holder must present one of the above document options for proof of domicile, and his/her picture ID, while the parent/legal guardian of the student presents his/her picture ID. Once both documents have been approved and notarized by the Office of Student Assignment or ESL Resource Center, the parent will be instructed to present the documents to the assigned school to verify they are domiciled in Durham.
      • Proof of Legal Domicile - The parent, legal guardian/custodian, must be currently domiciled within the geographic boundary of the Durham Public Schools district (“Domicile” is defined as a permanent, established home, as distinguished from a temporary place of residence. A person may have more than one residence, but only one legal domicile)

    Additional Required Documents

      • Picture ID of parent, legal guardian/custodian
      • Completed official withdrawal form from previous school (if applicable)
      • Report card/transcripts from last school and grade attended
      • Proof of immunizations within 30 days of enrollment
      • Health Assessment Form (K- 12th) is available at schools and DPS websites. It MUST be completed for students new to North Carolina schools within the first 30 days of their enrollment

    Students Relocating Within DPS To A Different Attendance Zone
    Parents/guardians of current DPS students moving within Durham Public Schools to a new attendance zone must complete an official withdrawal form at the current school. Take this form, acceptable proof of domicile, and your parent/guardian picture ID to the new school for enrollment.

    For Students Who Reside With Someone Other Than A Parent
    When it is necessary for a student to reside with an individual other than his or her parents, the adult individual with whom the student is residing must complete a Non-Parental Enrollment Affidavit and provide the following documentation to the Office of Student Assignment.

      • If the parent has relinquished his/her custody of the student –  current court order or legal document attesting legal guardianship/custodial proceedings
      • If the parent is deceased – obituary or death certificate
      • If the parent has abandoned, abused or neglected the student – statement of foster placement from Child Protective Service, Social Services, Dept. of Mental Health, etc., on letterhead, listing the foster parent name, address, placement date, etc.
      • If the parent is hospitalized for physical, mental or emotional conditions – statement from doctor or care facility on letterhead, regarding  nature, onset, duration and inability of parent to care for the student
      • If the parent is deployed on active military duty for less than 30 days - current deployment documents
      • If the parent is incarcerated, statement from the parent and proof of incarceration from the facility where the parent is being detained


    Course Registration

    • After completing the DPS enrollment process, students can be registered for courses. All registration documents are available on the JHS website under Registration 2021-2022.
    • Enter course selections using the appropriate grade level google form below:

               Rising  9th Grade

               Rising 10-12 Grade

    • Please be sure to select 8 primary courses and 4 alternates. All primary and alternate courses must be selected in even numbers of semester and year long courses. Resources to help make selections are located on the Registration 2021-2022 website.


    Registración de cursos

    • Después de completar el proceso de inscripción de DPS, los estudiantes pueden registrarse para los cursos. Todos los documentos de registro están disponibles en el sitio web de JHS bajo Registro 2021-2022.
    • Ingrese las selecciones de cursos utilizando el formulario de Google correspondiente al nivel de grado a continuación:
      Ascenso al noveno grado
      Ascendente grado 10-12
    • Asegúrese de seleccionar 8 cursos primarios y 4 alternativos. Todos los cursos primarios y alternos deben seleccionarse en números pares de cursos semestrales y anuales. Los recursos para ayudar a hacer selecciones se encuentran en el sitio web de Registro 2021-2022.