DURHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS UPDATE REGARDING SCHOOL NUTRITION SERVICES:
Back-to-School meal program changes take effect Sept. 1
Starting on September 1, Durham Public Schools will be able to continue offering school breakfasts and lunches even though our students are learning at home. The federal program Durham Public Schools used for our spring and summer feeding programs was not extended past August 31, so we will resume a more traditional National School Breakfast and National School Lunch program for our students with some significant changes that families should be aware of.
Summer meals wrap-up
The Summer Meals Service Pick-up Programs provided by DPS at Maureen Joy Charter School and KIPP Durham will end on Friday, Aug. 14, as they transition to their school year.
The current Durham Public Schools Summer Meals Service pick-up at the 22 DPS sites will officially end on Monday, Aug. 31. On Thursday, Aug. 27, families can pick up four breakfast and four lunch meals at the sites that serve meals on Mondays and Thursdays. On Friday, Aug. 28, families can pick up three breakfast and three lunch meals at the sites that serve meals on Tuesdays and Fridays. Click here for summer meal site locations and schedules.
National School Breakfast and Lunch services
Effective Tuesday, Sept. 1, School Nutrition Services will begin the National School Breakfast & National School Lunch Program meal service. The rules and regulations for these programs are different than the Summer Meals Program.
Changes for families
Under the National School Breakfast & National School Lunch Program meal service, the following rules and regulations apply:
- Meals can only be served to students enrolled in Durham Public Schools
- Only one breakfast and one lunch per student per day
- Students enrolled in an on-site learning center will receive meals at the school site during the day
- Meals cannot be picked up for students enrolled in an on-site learning center
Students must pay for meals based upon their approved meal price status
- Free Students will receive Free Breakfast and Free Lunch
- Reduced-price Students will receive Free Breakfast and Free Lunch (2020-21 School Year only)
- Paid Students will receive Free Breakfast and be charged $2.90 for each lunch meal
Meals can only be provided for days when school is in session. They are not available for:
- Teacher workdays
Meals can only be provided to a Parent or Guardian
- Meals cannot be picked up by volunteers to be delivered
- The parent or guardian must provide the name and ID number for the students who receive meals for Federal accountability purposes
Safety for food, families, and employees
- All School Nutrition Services team members will be screened daily for temperatures and will be required to answer a series of health questions
- All vendors who provide products to the schools will be screened daily for temperatures and will be required to answer a series of health questions
- All staff and vendors are required to wear masks
- All staff and vendors are required to maintain safe social distancing of 6 feet apart
- All staff and vendors are required to wash their hands frequently and at a minimum of every 30 minutes
- Families will be provided with food safety notes
- All food must be individually packaged or wrapped
- All menus must meet the Federal meal pattern requirements
- Students must receive the meal pattern appropriate for their grade level
- All students must receive all required components for each meal
- No a la carte sales will be provided
How will this work?
Starting Tuesday, Sept. 1, meals will be available for pick-up at 25 Durham Public Schools sites on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 am-12:30 pm. Families can pick up meals from the most convenient site. On Tuesdays, students will receive two breakfast and two lunch meals for Wednesday and Thursday meals. On Thursdays, students will receive three breakfast and three lunch meals for Friday, Monday & Tuesday meals.
Meal pick-up sites
Eno Valley Elementary
Club Boulevard Elementary
Fayetteville Street Elementary
Merrick Moore Elementary
R N Harris Elementary
Sandy Ridge Elementary
C C Spaulding Elementary
W G Pearson Elementary
Y E Smith Elementary
Please register in advance to pick up meals
In order to provide adequate staffing, ensure that we provide the correct grade level meal patterns, and have enough food available for pick-up at each site, we ask that families who want to pick-up meals register for meal pick-up by Wednesday, Aug. 26:
- Send an e-mail to Jim Keaten, Director of School Nutrition Services, at James_Keaten@dpsnc.net
- Or call 919-560-3657. Families can leave the information on the phone message or leave a name and phone number and School Nutrition will return their call.
We will need the following information:
- Student Current School
- Student First & Last Names
- Student Grade Level
- Phone Number
- Student ID number or Cafeteria PIN
- School Site for meal pick-up