Who takes this test? 11th graders who would like to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarships
When will they take it? October
Where will they take it? High School where enrolled
Why will they take it? Gives an idea of how students will score on SAT. Students who score well can earn scholarships from National Merit Scholarship Corp.
The cost to take the PSAT is $16. Juniors who desire to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship
may have this fee waived if they rank in the top 10% of their class. Please see your school counselor if you have questions or need additional information to register.
Test Preparation: www.collegeboard.com
and other websites provide test information, tips, and practice test questions. Test prep books are available at bookstores and the public library. School Guidance Office may offer resources.
Who takes this test? Juniors/Seniors
When will they take it? Spring or Fall depending on the grade level
Where will they take it? Various locations across the Triangle area
Why will they take it? College admission requirement in addition to scholarship opportunities
Cost: $49 for regular registration; $75 for late registration
Test Preparation: Online resources such as sat.collegeboard.org; instructor-led classes through various organizations; test prep books
- www.cfnc.org - College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) is a free service of the State of North Carolina that helps students plan, apply, and pay for college. CFNC is a partnership of Pathways, the N.C. State Education Assistance Authority, and College Foundation, Inc.
- www.collegeboard.com – College Board is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. College Board promote excellence and equity in education through programs for K–12 and higher education institutions, and by providing students a path to college opportunities, including financial support and scholarships. Through work in middle schools, high schools and colleges, they serve more than seven million students and parents.
- www.sat.collegeboard.com/practice/sat-study-plan – College Board provides free and affordable practice strategies online for student preparing for the SAT. Some of the free resources are helpful to students by assisting with developing a SAT Study Plan online, SAT Question of the Day, Sample Practice Questions, Free Practice Test and more.
- www.ineedapencil.com – INeedAPencil.com provide free and innovative SAT prep. Students will prepare for the SAT with 60 engaging lessons in math, reading, and writing that infuse pop culture into learning to make prep accessible, 800+ challenging practice exam questions that simulate the SAT and provide full explanations, and unique features like a score projector to show you how you are predicted to score on the real exam.
- www.satexamprep.com – Satexamprep.com offers a completely free online SAT study guide, with practice tests, all designed to help you gain the confidence you need to score high on your official SAT test.
- www.number2.com -- Number2.com's online test preparation courses are totally free! By creating an account you can access a customized course that includes user-friendly tutorials, practice sessions that dynamically adapt to each student's ability level, a vocabulary builder, and more...