Fully embraced and supported by Durham Public Schools (DPS) Superintendent, Dr. Pascal Mubenga; DPS Director of Equity Affairs, Dr. Daniel Kelvin Bullock; and DPS executive director of human resources, Kimberly Hager, the group DPS Latinx was founded in November 2018 by Sonia Marquez and Dr. Jose Cardoza.
The Mission of DPS Latinx Group is to provide support to DPS Latinx staff by creating a safe space where members can meet, network, and grow together as professionals.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES AND GOALS
- Embrace the Latinx identity and culture.
- Celebrate, inspire, educate, and support diversity throughout Durham Public Schools.
- Engage the DPS family in challenging stereotypes and embracing inclusivity of Latinx identity and culture.
GUIDED BY THE MISSION AND PRINCIPLES, THE DPS LATINX GROUP WILL STRIVE TO REACH THE FOLLOWING GOALS:
- Develop and maintain a safe space for Latinx staff at Durham Public Schools (Strategic Plan Goals 2A, 4A).
- Enrich the working environment for DPS Latinx staff though professional and social networking (Strategic Plan Goal 2A).
- Increase the involvement of Latinx staff in all levels of the district (Strategic Plan Goal 4B).
- Support, host, and engage in events/activities that educate, embrace and celebrate the Latinx identity and culture (Strategic Plan Goals 4B).
- Attract and retain Latinx staff in Durham Public Schools (Strategic Plan Goal 3B).
- Provide a broad network of Latinx role models for students (Strategic Plan Goal 1C)