Language Arts Resources
Curriculum & Test Prep
- Common Core Standards: English Language Arts
- NC Essential Standards: English As A Second Language (ESL)
- Test-Taking Tips: proven strategies to help you show what you know.
- Standardized Testing: Info for Parents
Spelling & Vocabulary
- Focusing on Words - building vocabulary with Latin and Greek roots
- Spelling from Harcourt School Publishers includes grade level quizzes and word finds
- VocabAhead - SAT vocabulary website
- Vocabulary Can Be Fun - English vocabulary building website for K-12 and ESL
- Reading and Language in English and Spanish - Collection of stories-pre-K and K. The computer reads to the student in either English or Spanish.
- Starfall Starter Reading Program - Great program to start kids on the path to become great readers!
- Help My Child Read - Resources from the U.S. Department of Education
Fun & Educational Websites
- Awesome Library: Games - list of links to educational games on a variety of websites.
- Awesome Talking Library - downloadable program to read online text.
- Brainpop- excellent language arts resources and short videos from the BrainPop library
- Citation Machine- Select the type of information resource you would like to cite from the list on the left, and click it. Complete the web form that appears with information from your resource. Click Make Citation to generate standard MLA & APA citations. If your resource is not included in the list, or if you have any questions about proper formatting, consult one of the style guides or your local librarian.
- Digital Children's Books- The International Children's Digital Library (ICDL) is a five-year project funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) to create a digital library of international children's books. One major goal is to create a collection of more than 10,000 books in at least 100 languages that is freely available to children, teachers, librarians, parents, and scholars throughout the world via the Internet.
- Google Lit Trips - free downloadable files that mark the journeys of characters from famous literature on the surface of Google Earth.
- Grammar Games - part of the FunBrain library
- Herman the Worm (bilingual)
- Internet Public Library Kidspace
- Mythweb - introduces readers to the heroes, gods, and monsters of Greek mythology
- Greek Mythology and the Theater
- Online Children's Stories - stories available to read or download. Some are from well-known books; others can be found only online.
- Wacky Web Tales - interactive writing and publishing from Education Place
- Wonderopolis - Wonders of the Day to help you find learning moments in everyday life. From the National Center for Family Literacy.
- Writing Activities Online - Excellent site for online writing activities.