Academic Competitions & Clubs
RHMS students have many opportunities to explore their interests and talents outside of class with activities that include sports, clubs, academic competitions, and more! None of these activities would be possible without volunteers. We welcome your support, ideas, and enthusiasm!
Music and the Arts
- Jazz Band - Open to students that have had at least one year of musical instruction. Students are exposed to a variety of jazz styles and perform at our school concerts. All band instruments are welcomed! Jazz band also incorporates electric guitar, electric bass, drum set, and keyboard. Rehearsals are on Fridays from 2:30 to 3:30. Contact Ms. Cammon if you have any questions.
- Pep Band - Open to students that have had at least one year of musical instruction. All band instruments are welcomed! Pep band performs popular music at home basketball games. Practices are called as needed and before each game. Contact Ms. Cammon if you have any questions.
Language Arts & Social Studies
- Spelling Bee - Students who win class-level spelling bees go on to our school-wide spelling bee. The winner goes on to represent Rogers-Herr at the regional bee, competing against students from schools in Durham and Orange counties.
- National Geographic Geography Bee - a nationwide competition that showcases students' geographic knowledge.
- History Bee - a nationwide competition that showcases students' knowledge of history.
- Battle of the Books - a fun, quiz bowl-style competition designed to encourage reading in middle school. Students will be exposed to quality literature representing a wide variety of reading levels, viewpoints, and literary styles. Battle of the Books is open to all grade levels at Rogers-Herr.
Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
- MathCounts - National middle school competition that promotes math achievement through a series of fun and engaging "bee" style contests. The competition consists of up to 4 different rounds with participants working sometimes in groups, sometimes individually, with or without a calculator.
- Odyssey of the Mind - creative problem-solving program that challenges teams to solve problems with more than one solution. Students learn that creative solutions come from teamwork, cooperation and risk-taking. Students learn cooperation, the appreciation and understanding of others, and that a group may be a more powerful thinking force than an individual.
- Science Olympiad - annual tournament organized by a nonprofit organization with the mission to attract and retain the pool of K-12 students entering science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degrees and careers in NC. Annual tournaments are rigorous academic interscholastic competitions that consist of a series of different hands-on, interactive, challenging and inquiry-based events that are well balanced between the various disciplines of biology, earth science, environmental science, chemistry, physics, engineering and technology.
- NJHS - National Junior Honor Society
- Garden Club - students maintain the vegetable gardens in our courtyard.
- GEMS - Girls Enthusiastically Motivated to Succeed
- FBLA - Future Business Leaders of America
- School dances, field trips, talent shows, and PTA events
Advisors & Meetings
Group Meetings Contact Art Club Mon, 2:20-3:45 Beth Wright email@example.com Battle of the Books Tue, 2:30-4:00 Jenny Umbarger firstname.lastname@example.org Enlaces Jennifer Hall email@example.com FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Crysta Hines firstname.lastname@example.org Forensics Club (Debate) Thu, 2:30-3:30 Chimere Johnson email@example.com Garden Club Amie Pugh firstname.lastname@example.org GEMS (Girls Enthusiastically Motivated to Succeed) Ryanne Logan email@example.com Heart & Sole (Girls on the Run for Middle School) Tue/Thu 2:30-4:00 Jenny Umbarger firstname.lastname@example.org Jazz Band Mon, 2:30-3:30 Renada Cammon email@example.com Lacrosse 2:45-4:30 in the spring Mark Bounds firstname.lastname@example.org MathCounts Mon, 2:30-3:30 Christine Blystad email@example.com National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) Thu, 2:30-3:30 Jasmine Adams firstname.lastname@example.org Odyssey of the Mind Thu, 2:30-4:00 Jennifer Miske email@example.com Pep Band Tue/Thu, 2:30-3:30 Renada Cammon firstname.lastname@example.org Science Olympiad Thu, 2:30-3:30 Karis Graves email@example.com Sign Language Club Every other Tues,
Melanie Dabbs firstname.lastname@example.org Student Ambassadors Varies Chancie Chaney email@example.com