Summary of Graduated License Law
Level 1- Limited Learner’s Permit involves parents, guardians in the training of young drivers
- Must be 15 or older, complete driver’s education and obtain limited Learner’s permit.
- For at least 12 months, the Level 1 driver must be supervised by parent or guardian who has been licensed at least 5 years.
- All people in vehicle driven by Level 1 driver must wear a seat belt, and only the supervisor can ride in the front seat.
- For the first 6 months, a Level 1 driver may only drive from 5a.m. to 9 p.m. with his or her supervisor
- For the second 6 months, a Level 1 driver may drive any time with their supervisor.
- The Level 1 driver must have no violations during each 6 months to graduate to the next level.
- The Level 1 driver must certify on an approved DMV driving log that they have had 60 hours of supervised practice driving over the course of 12 months. Ten of these hours must be night time practice driving and no more than 10 hours may be claimed in any given week.
Level 2 - Limited Provisional License protects young drivers during the night-time hours when they are most at risk.
- Unsupervised driving is allowed between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. or when driving to or from work.
- Unsupervised driving is also allowed to and from an activity of a volunteer fire department, volunteer rescue squad if the driver is a member of the organization.
- Supervised driving is allowed at any time.
- The Level 2 driver must have six months of violation free driving to graduate to the next level.
- When the provisional license holder is driving the vehicle and is not accompanied by the supervising driver, there may be no more than one passenger under 21 years of age as a passenger in the vehicle. The limit does not apply to passengers who are members of the license holder’s immediate family.
- Every person occupying the vehicle being driven by the provisional license holder must wear a seatbelt.
- The level 2 driver must certify on an approved DMV driving log that they have had 12 hours of supervised practice over the course of 6 months. Six of these hours must be night time driving.
Level 3 - Full Provisional License
- Unsupervised driving is allowed at any time.