Emergency Preparedness and Response
Safety and Security oversees emergency management for the school district and works closely with the Durham County Office of Emergency Services, Durham County Sheriff, Durham County Public Health, Durham Police and Durham Fire along with other local, state, and federal agencies. Emergency Management is charged with developing school emergency preparedness/response plans, developing training/exercises for staff,implementing school community emergency response teams, and responding to all DPS incidents. Emergency Management is also tasked with maintaining district emergency management plans and coordinating responses/recovery efforts during an incident/disaster. Emergency management relies on our Campus Emergency Response Teams (CERT), which are an integral part of the school’s emergency management plan. These teams are the first to respond when an emergency occurs at a school.
Durham Public Schools transmits crisis/emergency messages when necessary, using the following media:
- Website at www.dpsnc.net
- DPS social media accounts on Twitter and Facebook
- Recorded inclement weather message hotline: 919-560-9129
- DPS Cable Channel 4
- Local radio and television station broadcasts Durham Public Schools SchoolMessenger Notification System
Parents, students, and staff are encouraged to sign up for AlertDurham to receive important emergency notifications for incidents/weather occurring within Durham County.
How can parents/guardians help?
- Keep emergency contact information updated using the Student Data Sheet at your child’s school. This information includes your home and emergency phone numbers, home address, special medical needs, and emergency pick-up information.
- Encourage your child to follow directions given by school personnel.
- Stay calm. Our priority is keeping students safe.
- Talk to your child about emergencies. The below websites are good parent resources.