Middle School Before & Afterschool
21st Century SIMS Learning
21st Century SIMS Learning is a grant funded, academic enrichment program held at three Durham Public Schools sites:
Carrington Middle School
Neal Middle School
Shepard Miiddle School
This program does involve a limited number of spaces and most participants are selcted through school/teacher referral. If interested, any parent is welcome to contact the Site Coordinator at his/her child's school to share your interest. If selected, someone from the school will inform you of registration processes.
Middle School ENCORE!
The Encore! Afterschool program will serve:
- Lowes Grove
- Lucas/Little River K-8
Carrington, Neal and Shepard will be served by a new 21st Century Community Learning Center grant. Afterschool information for these schools will be posted soon to this website. More to come!
The Rogers-Herr ENCORE! program is full and are taking students for the waitlist. Rogers-Herr Parents will be contacted when a space becomes available.
Year-Round (Monday, August 2, 2021- May 14, 2022)
Traditional (Tuesday, September 7- May 14, 2022)
*Program days and start times: Monday- Thursday, 2:30- 5:30pm
To Register for ENCORE! Afterschool Programs:
Online 2021-22 Registration Form or complete a
ENCORE! Program Components:
Basics to the Basics of After-school (B2B) B2B allows students to participate in a series of
welcome activities such as ice breakers,
cooperative activities, ENCORE! rules and creating
social contracts. This allows the tone to be set for
students and staff from the beginning to the end
of the program. __________ ___________
Homework Zone: *Homework Assistance
(Certified Teachers from school day)
*Study Groups _____ _____
Character Education: ENCORE! utilizes Character Counts as a framework
based on basic values called The Six Pillars of
Character: trustworthiness, respect,
responibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship by
Josephso Institute. Students engage monthly in
various activities around the Six Character Traits. ____
STEM Activities: STEM activities occur monthly. These activities
are in-depth and rigorous one day projects that
facilitate learning on a particular topic. These
activities are linked to learning concepts that
take place during the school day. _____ ___ ___
Physical Sports in After-school: Students will engage in various physical activities
to help with maintaining a healthy lifestyle.___________
Teen Initiatives: Students will participate in various team building
anti-bullying and leadership development activities
that will prepare them for a brighter future._________
Showtime! Got Talent? Every student has a talent that he/she
would like to demonstrate. Students will work in
groups or by themselves to prepare for
Showtime/Lights, Camera & Action. ___________
Site Planned Activities: Each site will have the opportunity to plan
various activities and schedule resources. All
activities must be indicated on activity schedules
submitted to CE monthly. Each site should
provide an updated schedule if any activities
change periodically after submission of plans.___________
ENCORE! Bulding Brighter Futures for Our Middle School Students
- Cost: Students can join afetrschool by completing a paper application form or register on-line. Cost is $50 per semster or $100 for the full yeasr. See our operating Calendar as we don't operate everyday. Scholarships are available for student at every school - See below for more information.
- Attendance Policy: Students are expected to attend as often as possible (preferably everyday) to gain the most for the program. Our research has shown students make the most progress academically and socially and build resilliency against risk factors when they attend regularly and for multiple years in our program. Our minimum attendance policy requires students to attend at least two full days a week or an hour each day of the week. Due to limited space at each program, we want to maximize attendance in the program which is based on our average daily attendance. Students may be dropped from the program to allow other students to attend.
- Buses: Bus transportion is provided from each school program as long as the students are actively participating in ENCORE!and students live within the school's attednance zone. Afterschool bus transportion is a privilege and could be denied if the student conduct becomes an issue. Students leave campus at 5:30pm and will arrive home in under an hour. An afterschool bus stop is created for each student requesting transpotation.
- Snacks: A healthy snack and drink is provided by DPS Child Nutrition Services in the program each day and follow Federal snack guidelines. An alternative snack can be porvided if a special dietary need is requested and communicated with our staff.
- Wait List: A wait list will be formed after a school program exceeds the enrollment capacity. We staff at a 1:15 ration and monitor average daily attendance monthly in order to maximize enrollment. Waitlist are formed on a first come first served basis and does not require payment until your child is accepted into the program. Removing students from a waitlist is a priority for us but at times can be a lengthy wait process due to long lists and staffing.
- Scholarships: Are available to any student with limited means or circumstances. Scholarship forms can be found on our Forms page which describes multiple ways for students to qualify. Scholarship students adhere to the same rules when placed on a waitlist. Exceptions are made in rare emergency situations that involve a child's immediate safety and involve social service agencies.
Before School Programs
Before School Programs (6:30-8:30am Daily):
Durham School of the Arts & School for Creative Studies
Community Education is pleased to provide quality and affordable before school programs at Durham School of the Arts and the School for Creative Studies, where learning is fun! Our programs provide families with safe and nurturing place for their children to be actively engaged in enriching activities during the before school hours.
Non-Refundable registration fee $35 (per child)
20 day before school fee (monthly) $85
Before school for 2nd child $80
Before school for 3rd child $40
Send the Fee for one 20-day cycle plus $35 registration fee for each child. This registration fee and one cycle payment is not refundable.
To Register complete 2021-22 Middle Before School Brochure and Registration Form- English