The best way to learn more about our school is to come and see us in action! Tours are held from November - January each year. To request a tour, please contact Mrs. Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 560-2695 ext 69057.
How do I Apply?
Sandy Ridge is a visual and performing arts magnet school. Students are eligible to enroll in grades K-5 only after completing an application to enter the lottery (a random selection process that allows families to register their magnet choices) and then being selected in the lottery. The magnet application period for admission for the 2023-24 academic year was January 9-February 6, 2023. Late applications for the 2023-24 academic year may be accepted if our wait list is exhausted and we still have seats available. Please reach out to Mrs. Allen for more information email@example.com (919) 560-2695 ext 69057. Tours are held from November-January each year. *Please note that we will no longer admit students through the lottery as of August 2024. To learn more about your options within Durham Public Schools, please visit https://www.dpsnc.net/magnet.
The parent or legal guardian/custodian must have a valid email address or phone number to create an online account, submit an application, and receive application updates in the application portal: SmartChoice Application Account at dpsncapplication.com.Students enrolled in PreK at Sandy Ridge and siblings of currently enrolled students are NOT guaranteed admission and must also be admitted through the lottery system.If your child is currently enrolled in Kindergarten through 4th grade at Sandy Ridge, you do not need to complete a new application for the 2023-2024 school year.*Please note that we will no longer admit students through the lottery as of August 2024. Information for our currently enrolled families can be found here English / Spanish. To find your new base/assigned school for the 2024-25 school year, go to DPS Boundaries for 2024-25.Minimum requirements to apply for Kindergarten:
- Child lives in Durham County
- Child will be five years old on or before August 31 of the year the child will attend Kindergarten
- Application Period – The magnet application period for admission in August 2023 is January 9-February 6, 2023.
- Lottery notification results will be posted in March 2023 on the SmartChoice Dashboard of the parent's online account.
- Applicants who are selected through the lottery must complete all registration requirements (proof of residency, etc.)
Sandy Ridge Lottery Preferences
- Applicants who are domiciled in the priority zone will receive first consideration for assignment.
- Applicants who are domiciled in the attendance zones of the priority schools (Easley, Eno Valley, Glenn, Hillandale, Holt, Little River and Mangum) will receive second consideration for assignment.
- Applicants who are domiciled outside the attendance zones of the priority schools will receive third consideration for assignment.
**Siblings attending priority
Only applicants who are domiciled in the attendance zones of the priority schools (Easley, Eno Valley, Glenn, Hillandale, Holt, Little River and Mangum) will receive transportation services.
Questions? Contact Carolyn Allen, Magnet Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org (919) 560-2695 ext. 69057.