Independent Study Program - 2019-20
The Independent Study Program offers juniors or seniors the opportunity to pursue their interests along three different paths, including Directed Study, Lab Technician, or Teaching Assistant. All three require the agreement of a faculty member, pre-approval from the director, and a submitted (and approved) application. Failure to follow instructions or meet expectations may result in the student being dropped from the desired course.
- Wednesday, February 27 – Pre-Approval & Guidelines form due to Mr. McDonald, Room 404
- Wednesday, April 3 – Full Application due to Mr. McDonald, Room 404
Applications for each paths are linked below.
- Directed Study – This provides the student with the opportunity to explore, in depth, a subject which is of particular interest and which they have already attained sufficient expertise to be able to direct their own work under the guidance of an experienced teacher knowledgeable in the field chosen by the student. The course must be something not already offered in the existing course of study. Download the documents in (word) (.pdf)
- Lab Technician – This provides the student with the opportunity to work directly with a Science teacher in the development, organization, and follow-through with lab assignments. Students will also be responsible for completing quarterly projects pre-determined by the Science Department. Projects include department inventory and preparation for the JHS Science Fair. Download the documents in (word) (.pdf)
- Teaching Assistant – This provides the student with the opportunity to work with any teacher in the building in the role of classroom support. Responsibilities will be left to the discretion of the instructor; however students are not allowed to grade any assignments. Students that serve in this role will also be required to complete a minimum of one school improvement project each semester. Download the documents in (word) (.pdf)