Before- & After-school Programs
Before and Afterschool Programs
Due to the rapidly changing events of COVID-19, all 2020-21 Before and Afterschool registrations are postponed until a later date.
(NEW) 2020-2021 School Year
Dear Parents of Before/Afterschool Care:
It is important to know we are under COVID-19 advisory and information protocols and processes are likely to change over the next several months. Please refer back to this web page for further updates on Before & Afterschool and Summer Camp Programs.
Thank you for your patience as we all manage around the impact of COVID-19 in both our personal and work lives. The Community Education and Family Engagement office is here to serve your family needs. In preparation for the 2020-2021 school, we have begun accepting before and afterschool program registrations. Durham Public Schools, in conjunction with the NC Department of Public Instruction, local, and federal authorities, is working on a safe “Re-Entry” plan for both students and staff as well as the official start date. These details will be shared with the community at the appropriate time. Meanwhile, to eliminate financial strains on families caused by COVID-19, we are happy to announce there will be no fee increases for the 2020-2021 school year and we are postponing the requirement of paying the initial tuition fee (at the time of registration) until July 1, 2020. Therefore, you only have to pay the $35 Registration fee at the time of registration (on-line or by mail). In order to maintain your enrollment in the program, your first month’s tuition must be paid by July 1, 2020. After July 1, “waitlist” students will be contacted to fill all remaining vacancies for students who did not enroll by July 1, 2020.
Your child’s safety is most important to us. Our programs will adhere to new protocols and procedures from the NC Department of Child Development and Early Education and Durham Public Schools in conjunction with local health authorities.
Program enrollment or capacity limits “Caps” are always a challenge as a new year begins. Enrollment spaces are determined by a number of factors including hiring qualified staff, grade level of students, school space and other NC licensing requirements. COVID-19 will also play a major part in our ability to serve students this year. These mitigating factors will be reflected in establishing our capacity limits in each of our programs. If you are placed on a “waitlist”, we will contact you as soon as a space becomes available. You would not be required to pay anything except the $35 registration fee to remain on the waitlist. This registration fee is fully refundable should you decide to withdraw from the waitlist. As the year progresses, we will continue to work towards adding more students as we are able and can safely accommodate.Thank you for choosing Durham Public Schools Before- and After-school Programs!
You have selected a program that has more than 35 years of experience providing quality expanded learning opportunities to elementary students.
We support academic achievement in DPS Before- and After-school programs! This year, your child will experience a balance of homework time, enrichment, and recreational activities that are considered elements of a high-quality program. Our elementary programs are licensed and regularly evaluated by the North Carolina Division of Child Development and 95 percent of our programs have 5-star ratings!
Things to know about the before- and after-school programs:
- Before-school programs open at 6:30 a.m. and operate until the first bell rings.
- After-school programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6:00 p.m.
- After-school programs also operate on early dismissal days at no extra cost to parents!
- Monthly payments cover 20 days (no charge for days when school is out).
- Our programs offer full-time enrollment only; no part-time enrollment is available.
- Financial assistance is available through DPS by calling 919-560-9488.
- Our program is eligible for Department of Social Services childcare vouchers. Call 919-560-8300 or click here for more infomatch Financial Assistance Form.
- There is a nonrefundable registration fee of $35 per child.
- Registrations are open all year, but accepted based on available space.
- Your chid can begin attending programs two business days from the day you register. Register on Monday before 5pm and your child can start on Wednesday. If you register after 5pm, your child two day wait starts the net business day.
- Some Situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, child needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start date is necessary.
**Our office, located at 2107 Hillandale Rd. and the school offices are currently closed due to COVID-19.
***(Due to COVID-19) Beginning of the year “Delayed Start” deadlines will be posted as soon as the new school year calendars are determined.”
Middle School ENCORE!
Before- & After School Contact Information
In-Person: DPS Staff Development Center “(Office is Currently Closed due to COVID-19)”
Mail to:Community Education Accounting Office
PO Box 1967
Durham, NC 27702-1967Fax To:
Community Education Accounting Office