Before & After-School Programs
Before and Afterschool Programs
Currently, there is a waitlist for most programs for the 2022-2023 school year.
Registration for the 2022-2023 school year opens Monday May 9, 2022.
Families will be notified by email confirming that their child has been enrolled or has been placed on the waitlist by June 17, 2022.
(New School Year) 2022-23 Registration Deadlines:
10% discount for the first 300 families that register and enroll by June 17, 2022.
Traditional students must be registered by Friday August 12, 2022 to start on the first day of school on August 29, 2022 (Space permitting).
Year-Round students must be registered by Tuesday, July 5. 2022 to start on the first day of school on July 19, 2021 (Space permitting).
To be officially registered in our programs, you must pay both your $35 registration fee and one (20-day cycle) monthly fee. You will be contacted if space is not available in the program for which you registered. If space is not available, you will have a choice of being placed on the waitlist or be refunded all your fees.
Normal two-day Start Dates:
Your child can begin attending the programs two business days from today. Ex: Register on Monday before 5pm and your child can start on Wednesday. If you register after 5pm, your two-day wait starts the next business day (see below).
Note: Some situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, child needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start date is necessary.
(Registering during the school year)
Register by 5pm: Start Date:
You can receive information such as a Welcome Letter, Contract Agreement, Payment Schedules, and a Coupon Booklet on our DPS Before and After-school Forms page.
Have a question? Call us at 560-9488.
Thank you for choosing Durham Public Schools Before- and After-school Programs!
You have selected a program that has more than 35 years of experience providing quality expanded learning opportunities for elementary students.
We support academic achievement in DPS Before- and After-school programs! This year, your child will experience a balance of homework time, enrichment, and recreational activities that are considered elements of a high-quality program. Our elementary programs are licensed and regularly evaluated by the North Carolina Division of Child Development and 95 percent of our programs have 5-star ratings.
Things to know about the before- and after-school programs:
- Before-school programs open at 6:30 a.m. and operate until the first bell rings.
- After-school programs operate on school days from the time the school is dismissed until 6:00 p.m.
- After-school programs also operate on early release days at no extra cost to parents!
- Monthly payments cover 20 days (no charge for days when school is out).
- Our programs offer full-time enrollment only; no part-time enrollment is available.
- Programs only operate on in-person instructional school days.
- Financial assistance is available through DPS by calling 919-560-9488.
- Our programs are eligible for Department of Social Services childcare vouchers. Call 919-560-8300 or click here for more information Financial Assistance Form.
Registration for these programs is required annually.
or pick up a registration form at our office at 2107 Hillandale Rd. or your school office.
- There is a nonrefundable registration fee of $35 per child.
- Registrations are open all year but accepted based on available space.
- Your child can begin attending programs two business days from the day you register. Register on Monday before 5pm and your child can start on Wednesday. If you register after 5pm, your child's two-day wait starts on the next business day.
- Some situations may require longer start dates due to staffing shortages, children's needs, or student holidays. You will be called if a different start is necessary.
- Please see the brochure for pricing.
Durham County School-Age Care Providers
Durham Public Schools does not endorse any of the Durham County School-Age Care Providers. This information is offered as a service to parents.
Durham Public School Families who decide to enroll in an alternative afterschool program, may request DPS transportation for programs located within the school boundaries. Please click on the link below to see a list of Durham County Afterschool Providers that DPS transportation will transport students to in the afternoon.
To secure transportation to one of these programs, please contact your school's data manager.
Office Phone (919) 560-9488
Office Fax: (919) 560-2177
Email: Community_Education@dpsnc.netDROP-OFF BOX:Minnie Forte-Brown Staff Development Center2107 Hillandale Road, DurhamClassroom Bldg. (Front door)