Are You Interested in Substitute Teaching?
Not only would you be making a difference in the lives of DPS students, but substitute teaching can be an ideal way to supplement your income while setting your own schedule. It will also give you the opportunity to improve your classroom skills as you try out different schools, grade levels and instructional methods. And after proving your abilities as a substitute, you may even be offered a full-time job. Here are some other benefits to substitute teaching:
- Earn money while working toward a teaching certificate.
- Substitute teaching can help you decide whether to pursue further education, and in which subject area. Trying out different opportunities can help you identify your strengths and decide on a professional focus.
- You can network with other teachers and administrators, who can provide valuable advice and professional connections.
- If you’re retired from full-time teaching or another career, substitute teaching allows you to keep busy, stay involved in a profession, and continue earning some income.
- Unlike many permanent teachers, you’re not required to be certified in a specific subject area.
- Substitute teaching provides you with practical experience that you wouldn’t otherwise have. You can learn and experiment with different types of teaching styles and classroom environments.
Make your career work for you, not the other way around. If you don’t want to be stuck in the daily rut of a typical job, explore the advantages of substitute teaching.
Substitute Teacher Requirements:
- Online-Application for Employment
- Submit transcripts showing a minimum of forty-eight (48) college credit hours or proof of Teaching License
- Two (2) confidential professional references
- Health Form which includes TB Test Results
- Must have cleared Criminal Background Check
The Application Process
- Complete the on-line employment application.
- Drop off or submit a copy of teaching license, or transcripts showing forty-eight (48) college credit hours and a completed Durham Public Schools Criminal Background Check form and NC Public Schools Health Form with TB Line to Durham Public Schools, Human Resource Services reception desk.
- Upon receipt of license, certificate or transcripts and cleared background check, you will be scheduled to pick up or you will be emailed a substitute packet if you are selected for hire.
- Once you have completed everything in your packet, you will be scheduled to attend an orientation session.
- $103/day – Licensed substitutes (Current or expired teaching license)
- $80/day – Non-licensed substitutes
Questions about substitute teaching?