Elementary Before & Afterschool
All before and afterschool programs are licensed at a level that exceeds the minimum NC Division of Child Development Early Education Regulations. Our programs serve students that attend the 30 elementary schools. The programs provide a balance of structured and free-choice activities designed to stimulate the students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
- trained staff and a safe, stimulating environment
- theme-related activities in arts, crafts, music, dramatic play, science, language arts, cooking, and more
- Organized indoor and outdoor games and physical activities
- homework and quiet time
- virtual guest presenters and performers, including storytellers, musicians, drama and dance groups
- "club" activities that foster individual interests of students
- time for social interaction with a diverse group of peers
- Community service-learning projects
- healthy afternoon snack prepared by DPS Child Nutrition Services
Before school programs open at 6:30am and operate until the first bell rings.
Before school programs will only operate at Forest View, Hillandale, Merrick Moore, Pearsontown, and Southwest.
Elementary afterschool programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6:00pm. There is a late pick-up fee for children after 6:00pm. On early release days, programs will open and operate two hours earlier. Please refer to the DPS student calendar for the dates.
Students attend the Before & Afterschool program at the school where they are enrolled. The programs operate in each school's gym or multipurpose building and use other areas, including the media center, art room and classrooms. Students attending an elementary school that does not have a program can enroll and attend a nearby program where the students are transported by school bus.
Things to know about the before- and after-school programs:
- Before-school programs open at 6:30am and operate until the first bell rings.
- After-school programs operate on school days from the time school is dismissed until 6:00pm.
- After-school programs also operate on early release days at no extra cost to parents!
- Monthly payments cover 20 days (no charge for days when school is out).
- Fulltime enrollment only, no part time available.
- Programs only operate on in-person instructional school days.
- Financial assistance is available through DPS by calling 919-560-9488.
- Program eligible for Department of Social Services childcare vouchers by calling 919-560-8300.
ELEMENTARY PARENT HANDBOOKS
Before and Afterschool Parent Handbook
2023 Manual para padres de Camp 4 Rising K