- HERricane Summer Program for Emergency Responce
- Join the NC Emergency Management program for an inside look at disaster response and public safety through field trips, trainings, and disaster simulation exercises.
- July 11-14th in Raleigh - Program is FREE
- Application and Flyer
- ECU Future Teachers Symposium
Rising high school juniors, seniors and current seniors who are interested in becoming a teacher are invited to apply to the free 2-day Future Teachers of NC: Eastern NC Symposium. The Eastern NC Symposium is a collaboration among East Carolina University, the University of North Carolina-Pembroke and the University of North Carolina-Wilmington.
You can find out more information and register for the event here: https://encfutureteachers.ecu.edu
- Girls Rock NC - Youth Mentor Opportunity
Girls Rock NC is a youth-centered organization dedicated to building community and power among girls, transgender youth, and gender expansive youth through musical collaboration, political education for social change, and creative expression.
GRNC’s 2023 Summer Camp applications are open for campers (rising 3rd-10th graders) and Youth Mentors (rising 11th-12th graders) through March 31st!
Youth Mentors work closely with the Camp Staff to create and facilitate up to 3 weeks of summer camp. To fill out a Youth Mentor application, click here.
- Youth in Action Volunteer Opportunity
Youth in Action is going to be at Durham Animal Protection Society (APS) for a group training. If anyone needs a few volunteer hours or wants to spend time with cuddly animals, feel free to join us! The planned date is April 29th, 1-3pm. Rain or Shine.
If anyone is interested in this, please let me know at email@example.com by Friday, April 7th for planning purposes.
- Student U Summer Internship Program
- The High School Internship Program is a five-week summer program designed to expose students to a work environment, explore career interests, and provide them with the opportunity to gain professional and personal skills in a nurturing environment. Student U will host interns in-person on campus and will collaborate with community partners to place interns at off-campus locations for an in-person or virtual experience. The Student U internship program welcomes rising juniors and seniors to apply (current 10th and 11th graders). The internship program is competitive, and those who demonstrate clear interest, strong communication, maturity and other job-specific skills will be chosen to participate.
- Triangle Kickoff to Opportunities - April 15th
- Boys & Men of Color Conference
- VOW Dreamship Program - Village of Wisdom - For Parents
- We will be inviting 20 – 25 Black Parent Leaders throughout the community to embark on this one-of-a-kind journey with us… Check out more here https://vowdreamship.org/info/
- Calling Future Teachers of NC
- Triangle Nonprofit & Volunteer Leadership Center
Each summer the Triangle Nonprofit & Volunteer Leadership Center, offers 6 weeks of summer programming for high school students in the Triangle – we have our IMPACT Camp, our Model UN Week, and the Civic Engagement Leadership Institute. These student programs are specifically designed to increase civic engagement, teach about the importance of community service, and help high school students across the triangle build leadership, public speaking, and organizational skills. Across our programs, we partner with local nonprofits to show students the amazing impact nonprofits in the Triangle area have on the community.
- BULLS Initiative
- Learn more: https://www.madeindurham.org/bulls-initiative
- 5 months Biomanufacturing training program for 18-25 year old high school graduates.
- Paid Internship in Science & Health Training Research with UNC Emergency Medicine
- Seeking students who are interested in exploring careers in research and medicine and meet the program criteria
- Applicant Questions and Flyer
- 2023 Shelton Leadership Challenge - Camp Opportunity 6/18-23 - $500
- The Shelton Challenge is a six-day (June 18-23, 2023) residential leadership experience to help students expand their knowledge and skills of what it takes to be an effective leader. Offered to rising 9th-grade to graduating seniors (graduating seniors included) with a 3.0+ unweighted GPA, hands-on activities focus on: personal leadership assessment and interpersonal dynamics, the role of values and ethics in leadership, leadership traits and approaches, empowering others, civic and social responsibility and goal setting. In addition to these aptitudes, students also engage in team-building activities like low- and high-ropes courses, rock climbing walls, service projects, and social activities in the evenings.
- Link for more information, and to apply to the Shelton Challenge: https://ncwc.edu/community/shelton-challenge/
- Lead Program - Scholarship Opportunity for 11th & 12th graders
- Reverb: Durham's Entrepreneurship Club for Teens
- Reverb – formerly Audacity Labs – is a startup incubator and co-working space for teens interested in social and commerical entrepreneurship. We offer a comprehensive ecosystem of guidance, support, and skill building. Currently, applications to echo-Reverb's Youth Entrepreneurship Club are LIVE! We welcome students from grades 7-12 to be a part of a group of leaders who are eager to change the world. As we say to each our students: it is our focus at echo-Reverb to make sure you become You, Amplified!
- NC American Chemical Society - Project SEED (Science Educational Experience for the Disadvantaged (ForCurrentJuniors)
- Project SEED is a cost-free, year-round science enrichment program for academically talented, economically disadvantaged students. The goal of the program is to motivate students who have an interest in science to pursue terminal degrees. NC ACS Project SEED offers a paid summer internship to selected students. First year students receive a $3200 stipend. Students who reside in Wake, Durham, Orange, Harnett and Johnston counties commute to their internship sites at North Carolina State, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, North Carolina Central or Campbell University. Senior students receive assistance with the college, financial aid and scholarship application process.
- Application and Teacher Recommendation (From a Chemistry Teacher)
- For information about the financial eligibility requirements, please email Mrs. Machak
- Emerging Journalist Summer Program at Elon
- Flyer and Website
What is it?
- Four learning sessions on foundational journalism skills, including News Gathering & Writing; Editing & Design; Photojournalism & Multimedia Broadcast; and Law & Ethics.
- A certificate of completion for completing all four session assessments.
- High school juniors from diverse socio-economic, racial or ethnic backgrounds who successfully complete the Exposure experience will be invited to apply for the Immersion experience, a 12-day, experiential learning workshop on Elon University’s campus with travel, lodging, meal and instructional expenses paid for by EJP.
- Hank & Billye Suber Aaron Young Scholar Summer Research Institute
- The Young Scholars Research Institute is a 3 week program for rising 12th graders from July 10 - July 28
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis from now until April 2023. New Student Application: https://duke.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cRPAl35kcjjlWlg
Website link: https://socialequity.duke.edu/projects-programs/hank-billye-suber-aaron-young-scholars-program/#next
- Teen Grief Group
- Duke Hospice Bereavement Services desires to be a free or low cost resource for the community. We are currently offering a support group, ReLEAF Connections, for children K-5th grade, on the first Thursday of every month from 6:00-7:30 pm and a virtual teen support group, Teen ReLEAF for 6th-12th graders on the second Thursday of every month from 4:30-5:30pm. If you are interested in attending, parent/caregivers can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
US Naval Academy Summer Seminar Applications due April 15th
- Juniors interested in pursuing an appointment to the US Naval Academy are invited to apply for the Summer Seminar. Summer Seminar introduces you to life at the Academy, where you will experience first-class academic, athletic, and professional training at one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country.
ACT ONLINE PREP ACCESS AVAILABLE FOR ALL DPS JUNIORS
All DPS juniors have access to ACT Online Prep as a resource to support their preparation for the ACT administration in Spring 2023. flyer
- Juniors can log on to onlineprep.act.org and enter their DTCC email address.
- SAT Prep
- Available online for free through Khan Academy
- HERricane Summer Program for Emergency Responce