We are pleased to partner with Duke University for a recognition program that spotlights students who distinguish themselves with character and integrity. Select students are recognized by Durham Public Schools and featured in The Herald Sun on a monthly basis.
All Durham Public Schools high school students who exhibit positive characteristics are eligible to be nominated and recognized. Students, teachers, administrators, and community members may nominate deserving students. The Superintendent’s Teacher Advisory Council will select students for the monthly recognition. Duke University's Office of Regional and Public Affairs sponsors the program.
Students will be selected and recognized according to the schedule below. Students may be nominated throughout the year.
|November 2012||Southern SOE|
|April 2013||Hillside NT|
|July 2013||City of Medicine|
|August 2013||Early College|
|September 2013||Middle College|
Durham Public Schools will recognize students who may demonstrate one or more of the following characteristics:
- Students who have overcome challenges and obstacles.
- Students who demonstrates an appreciation for differences in other individuals.
- Students who give back in the community through volunteering and service.
- Students who serve as community leaders.
- Students who serve as a positive role model for their peers.
- Students who demonstrate goal setting and achievement.
- Students who are courteous and respectful to classmates and adults